Q. After two years of facial hair removal treatment, my skin looks worse. What to do?

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel
Published on Oct 28, 2018

I used to take treatments for facial hair removal using a laser, microdermabrasion, and chemical peeling. I did these treatments before two years. My skin has become worse now. I have more dead cells in my skin, and I have darker looking skin. Even my lips have turned dark. My entire upper lip is black. I do not know the reason behind this problem. Do I have this problem due to the laser treatment or due to hormonal imbalance?

I am taking medication for thyroid, which is normal now. I am taking Metformin for hormone regulation. I have facial hairs, and it grows faster. I have facial hair above the lips and chin. I use a razor to clear it. Please prescribe me ointments or creams to reduce the problem.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

You are having hormonal issues. It could be the reason for having pigmentation and excess hair growth. Please mention about the steps taken to maintain the skin. Please send the images of the darkened portion of the skin. I can suggest some remedies after looking at the present condition.

I have sent the photos of my chin and my lips in a clear view. I am not applying any specific creams. I am using moisturizer and sunscreen. But I am not using it continuously. My skin becomes dry after I have a bath. My skin does not look hydrated. But I usually drink plenty of water. I have lost my freshness in my skin. Please prescribe some ointments to have better-looking skin.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a condition called seborrheic melanosis. Please mention whether you have dandruff or not. You can use Hydrocortisone cream twice daily for ten days around the lips. Start using Nizoral shampoo (Ketoconazole) weekly twice for hair wash. Apply Aveeno cream (Dimethicone with Cetyl alcohol) at night for ten days. Try to take Brevoxyl (Benzoyl peroxide 4 %) creamy face wash once a day.

Hirsutism - a Cosmetic Challenge

Article Overview: This article discusses the causes and management of hirsutism. Read Article

Endocrinologist

Hirsutism is the presence of excessive hair in androgenic dependent areas of the female body. The condition is a marker for androgen excess, although many women have no detectable hormone abnormalities. In addition to androgens secreted into the circulation by the adrenal glands and ovaries, periphe...  Read Article

How can I get rid of post acne hyperpigmentation?

Query: Hello doctor,I need to get rid of the post acne hyperpigmentation that is a year old. I have had post-acne hyperpigmentation on my arm and back since I was 15 years old and have tried everything to fade and nothing works.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Post acne hyperpigmentation lasting for so long is not very common. 2. There are two kinds of options for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Either using creams at home which I will prescribe you below or going for cosmetic procedures like microdermabrasion, or...  Read Full

There is itching and accumulated dirt in my foreskin. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having itching and some accumulated dirt in my penis foreskin. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be smegma (buildup of dead skin cell between foreskin and penis). Send me clear pictures to help you out with the problem. Follow up with the pictures to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Ask a Cosmetologist Now