Q. Will congenital deafness get transferred to future generation?

Dr. A K Srivastava

Girl's father is dumb and deaf affected. If I marry that girl (affected person's daughter), will the child born to us also be affected? And I am not dumb and deaf. Please help me to decide to marry her or not.

Dr. A K Srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I understand your concern. Congenital deafness and mutism has a genetic effect and may pass to future generation but incidences are very less as compared to other congenital and genetic diseases. You may marry with girls concern. Deafness and mutism in the next generation are due to so many factors. So deafness of father should not be criteria for rejection of daughter for marriage. Now a days deaf and mutism is very easily managed by cochlear implants and few agencies are sponsoring the surgical costs as well. So need not worry and go ahead.

|