Deafness

I got sudden deafness in my left ear. What are the treatment options to improve the hearing function?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 32-year-old male with a height of 170 cm and weight 50 kg. I had sudden deafness of left ear last year. No infection, no injury, no other disease. Treatment started with Mecobalamin, Dexamethasone sodium phosphate, and some other medication through IV. Also treated with mouse ner...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.As per reported by you, there is an improvement in the left ear however, in spite of all the treatments done, sometimes the loss is not entirely reversible. Thus there are high chances of the damage in the left ear to be the same, which is mild at low frequency. The main...  Read Full »

Can congenital deafness be transferred to future generation?

Query: Hello doctor, Girl's father is dumb and deaf affected. If I marry that girl (affected person's daughter), will the child born to us also be affected? And I am not dumb and deaf. Please help me to decide to marry her or not.  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Congenital deafness and mutism has a genetic effect and may pass to future generation but incidences are very less as compared to other congenital and genetic diseases. You may marry with girls concern. Deafness and mutism in the next generati...  Read Full »

Is deaf and dumb problem hereditary?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a marriage proposal where the girl's father and his brother are mute and deaf. But, surprisingly the children are at good health without any issues. Can I go ahead to marry her? Are deaf and dumb hereditary? Kindly advice.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is always a small risk of having a child with deafness, even if there is no family history of deafness (1 in 1000). In this case, the risk would increase. But this would be dependent upon whether the girl carries the gene for deafness. So, precise risk can only be s...  Read Full »

Is there any treatment for sinusoidal deafness?

Query: Hello doctor, I have sinusoidal deafness for the past 22 years which is hereditary in my family. I wear hearing aids in both ears, but still, struggle in hearing. I was told to upgrade to higher end 32-channel hearing aid, which costs a bomb. From the past 20 years, my hearing problem has worsened....  Read Full »

Dr. Dev Roy

ENT Otolaryngologist, Plastic Surgeon, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a bilateral sensorineural loss which is progressive. There is no medicine which can prevent further loss. You have to get serial audiograms every six months to see the progression of the hearing loss. Current treatment is to wear a good quality digital hea...  Read Full »

I have sudden deafness, ringing, and loss of balance. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 73 year old male. I have recently become progressively deaf in one ear. It took about six weeks during which it progressed through various stages of tinnitus, a hissing sound, heavily pulsed, becoming almost constant and some degree of loss of balance. The present situation is th...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A unilateral sudden-onset hearing loss will be the result of exposure to cold weather, viral infection, allergy or autoimmune causes. You mentioned that an¬†audiology test is done. Can I see the report? Your symptoms were progressive deafness with various types of tinn...  Read Full »