Q. People around me think I am staring at them although I am not. Please advise.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on May 02, 2018

I have issues with my peripheral vision and I can see everything around me. This is particularly uncomfortable for me and people around me, as it seems like I am staring at them even though I am not looking at them.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

If you are suffering from a peripheral vision that makes you see less, then we can look at glaucoma as a cause and not when the opposite is true, that is when you feel you are seeing everything, which is normal.

The best way to get this clarified is with a visual fields test or perimetry. This also happens to be the very same test that is done for people diagnosed as "glaucoma suspects" before taking any decisions on treatment/management.

If you do feel that people are thinking that you are staring at them, then you must check to see if your eyes are crossed outwards. This deviation can be episodic, so detecting it may be difficult.

A simple test you can do at home to check if your eyes are crossing out is the Hirschberg's test. You will need the help of a friend or a family member to do this. While sitting straight and looking at a distant object, ask your friend to sit directly in front of you and shine a torchlight at the bridge of your nose and look at the reflection of light on the black portion of both your eyes. If it is exactly in the middle of each black part, then your eyes are straight, if not then they are crossed and you may have to see a doctor regarding this.

I hope this helps. Review after one week.

Accommodation problems.

1. Alternate cover test. 2. Perimetry.

Exotropia.

Convergence exercises.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Eye Care Through Ayurveda

Article Overview: Glaucoma, computer vision syndrome, vision problems and dry eyes are very common now a days. Glaucoma is the second leading cause for blindness. This article discusses in detail the ayurvedic approaches to treat eye disorders. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Ocular Hypertension: It is nothing but elevated pressure inside the eyeball. In clinical terms, it is defined as the presence of elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) in the absence of optic nerve damage or visual field loss. Normal intraocular pressure is between 10mm...  Read Article

My 9 months old baby had convulsions. Is that due to brain development issue?

Query: Hi doctor, My 9 months old baby had convulsions. We feel that he has crossed eyes, neck moving issues and feeling partial seizures during sleeping alone. I also have a doubt whether there is any brain development problem. Currently, he is on Keppra 100 mg/mL, 1 mL in 12 hours and so to be given twic...  Read Full »

After removing the spectacles, the eyes look crossed. How to correct them?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1-1/2 year old daughter is diagnosed with accommodative esotropia (crossed eye) and is recommended to wear glasses. And she has been wearing them for a month now. But, when I remove the glasses, the eyes still look crossed. But, looks fine when she wears the glasses. Is there a s...  Read Full »