Q. Following paralysis, my uncle's right side vision is not clear. How to improve that?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Four years ago, my uncle had a paralysis attack on the right side of the body. He has recovered now, except his right eye vision. He can clearly see straight and left, but not the right. He cannot see full 180 degrees. His age is 48 now. Is this a permanent disability or it can be cured?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Stroke or paralysis results from hampered blood supply to the brain. Usually, the motor functions or muscle movements recover over time. However, the visual pathways are very slow to recover and recovery is suboptimal.
  • So, the field defect that he has will persist and complete recovery is probably not possible.
  • It would be advisable to get a test known as visual fields or  HVF (Humphrey visual field) or VFA (visual field analysis) done with your ophthalmologist for both the eyes as there may be a small defect in the other eye as well.
  • Repeating the test a yearly interval will help us quantify or measure his improvement.

Visual field test or HVF for both eyes.

NAION (non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy - loss of vision due to insufficient blood supply).

Consultation with a neurologist or cardiologist to prevent stroke recurrence.

Revert with the reports to an eye care ophthalmologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Thank you for your response. He can see clearly with the left eye, but not with the right eye. Is this because of any nerve damage? It has been 4 years, but no improvement in this problem. Is there any operation or eye replacement to help this condition?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Eye surgery can only help if the cause of damage is local and structural. In the case of your uncle, the reason seems to be neurological in origin. Unfortunately, even with all the advancement in science, we are not able to treat loss of vision due to a neurological cause.
  • However, if he has any co-existent associated eye disease like cataract, then that can be addressed. But, nerve affection is clinically irreversible and of permanent nature.
  • Eye transplant is reserved for patients with local corneal problems and is not a solution in the case like your uncle's. Also, any other type of eye surgery will not help with field defect or poor vision due to long-standing optic nerve involvement.
  • There are special low vision aids available for eyes with decreased vision, and this is a non-surgical endeavour.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|