Q. My husband had sciatica, and his MRI shows degenerative changes from L2 to S1. Kindly help.

Dr. Chirag Solanki

My husband had sciatica three years ago. He has recurrent back pain and a tingling sensation in the feet. He was advised to do an MRI for his lower back, and the result says that he has a sign of spondylosis is seen with foci of osteochondrosis. From L2 to S1, signs of degenerative discopathy with dehydration of the nucleus pulposusnis were seen. Herniated disc partially extruded posteriorly.

Kindly help.

#

Your husband's MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) suggests (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity) some degenerative changes in the lumbar spine with nerve compression on the left side. However, it would be prudent to know the exact details about your husband's complaints and to have a look at MRI images before making a possible diagnosis and treatment plan.

But to brief, if the complaints are on the left side and if it coincides with the MRI picture, and if the compression over the nerve is significant, it may require surgery.

Take care.

|