Q. Can taking Primolut irregularly cause delay in period?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am 28 years. I had my period on the 24th of last month and I had unprotected sex on 2nd of the next month. I took Primolut on the same day and I had been bleeding again on 5th to 7th. It was not like usual bleeding. After that bleeding, I sometimes take Primolut on my own, like, when I take it today, I will not take it tomorrow. Till now today is 29th and am still not having my period. I have tested three tests and all are negative. I am confused about it.

Do you have a question on Delayed Period or Urine Pregnancy Test?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Uzma Arqam

DIPLOMA IN WOMEN 'S HEALTH FROM ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIENS IRELAND., DIPLOMA IN GYNNAE AND OBSTETRICS FROM
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

It would be better if you would send me a detailed history. Primolute N is actually used for delaying periods. It leads to withdrawal bleed but you have taken it as an emergency contraceptive pill actually. You got a withdrawal bleed as well although medicine was not taken properly with proper dose and days. After that also you took medication haphazardly. This medication is a hormone and can give side effects as well. These disturb cycles as well.

Urine pregnancy test and transvaginal scan are not very good to diagnose pregnancy in very early stage actually. Better have beta hCG (blood pregnancy test) to check your pregnancy status. If it comes negative then have tablet Primolute N 10 mg twice daily for complete five days and wait for bleeding in coming 1 to 2 weeks. If you want to have contraceptives and proper hormonal support for your cycle for regularity, have combined oral contraceptive pills for three months.

What is withdrawal bleeding?
Query: Hello doctor, Emergency contraception is 95% effective means is there some chance of getting pregnant? What more precautions could be taken during sex so that there will be full surety about it?¬†After taking it, will the periods be painful? In what way will it alter periods? Will it change the numb...  Read Full »
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. Yes, there is some chance of pregnancy. You can use condom, but there is no contraception 100% effective even after contraception-operation very small chance of pregnancy remains.You can bleed any day after taking I-pill. There is ...  Read Full »

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the urine pregnancy test was done after eight days post missed menses was negative then you are not pregnant. However, to be double sure, you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, where if the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU, then you can be sure that you are not pre...  Read Full »

Why are faint T lines appearing on urine pregnancy tests, while ultrasounds say I am not pregnant?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full »
Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two possibilities here. One is a chemical pregnancy, where only the pregnancy test result come positive, and there is no evidence of sac on ultrasound. Second being a healthy pregnancy is a delayed conception or an ectopic. I suggest you do a serum beta hCG b...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now