Q. Could delayed periods be a sign of early onset of menopause?

I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?

Do you have a question on Perimenopause or Delayed Period?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS., MS (OBS/GYNAE)., FMAS., DMAS., FELLOWSHIP IS ASSISTED REPRODUCTIVE TECHNIQUES
Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

If you have been regular with your menses these years and this is the first episode at 53 years of age when the menses have been delayed by two weeks, the causes can be a possible initiation of perimenopausal stage where menses are often delayed for a month or two and slowly tend to stop in next one to two years.

Perimenopausal stage can be verified with the hormonal FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (Luteinizing hormone) levels which if high shall indicate an onset of perimenopausal stage.

However, it is suggested that pregnancy should anyways be ruled out and if negative then you can wait naturally for your menses to resume.

Hence, try maintaining a menstrual calendar and keep a mark for your dates, duration of flow and quantity to evaluate the possible onset of a perimenopausal state.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My periods have become irregular. Will IVF help me?
Query: Hi doctor, My highest FSH count was 35.6 mIU/mL before two years. Now the FSH count is 13.2 mIU/mL. Before two years, my AMH count was 0.6 ng/ml. Last year, my AMH count was 0.1 ng/ml. Also, on the day seven and day 10, the follicular study gave nil result in both the ovaries (without medication). ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me start by giving you some points about the functions of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and AMH (anti-mullerian hormone). Every lady is born with a fixed number of eggs in ovaries (to be precise around 7 million). Every month, the lady pushes out one egg. These...  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »
Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please ask her to wait for a week for her period to start. If it does not start by then, she can repeat urine pregnancy test. If the test turns out to be negative, ask her to take tablet Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10 mg twice daily for five days. Period normally starts ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now