Q. Could delayed periods be a sign of early onset of menopause?

Published on Mar 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you have been regular with your menses these years and this is the first episode at 53 years of age when the menses have been delayed by two weeks, the causes can be a possible initiation of perimenopausal stage where menses are often delayed for a month or two and slowly tend to stop in next one to two years.

Perimenopausal stage can be verified with the hormonal FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and LH (Luteinizing hormone) levels which if high shall indicate an onset of perimenopausal stage.

However, it is suggested that pregnancy should anyways be ruled out and if negative then you can wait naturally for your menses to resume.

Hence, try maintaining a menstrual calendar and keep a mark for your dates, duration of flow and quantity to evaluate the possible onset of a perimenopausal state.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My periods have become irregular. Will IVF help me?

Query: Hi doctor, My highest FSH count was 35.6 mIU/mL before two years. Now the FSH count is 13.2 mIU/mL. Before two years, my AMH count was 0.6 ng/ml. Last year, my AMH count was 0.1 ng/ml. Also, on the day seven and day 10, the follicular study gave nil result in both the ovaries (without medication). ...  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »