Q. My blood and urine pregnancy test are positive, but there is no visible sac in the scan. Is this ectopic?

Dr. Deepali Raina
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

My last period was before a month, and it has been nine days I missed my period. I got positive in my blood and urine test. My beta hCG on last month was 675, and yesterday it was 3300. I almost completed 10 days after the missed period. Yesterday I went for scan my doctor told no sac is visible. I have some breast pain heavily and feel like period pain but no other symptoms. My TSH value is 2.9, and my doctor suspected may be ectopic. I do not have any pain or bleeding so far, but it is only like period pain. Please help.

Dr. Deepali Raina

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

By the dates, you are five weeks pregnant. If no gestational sac is visible in your uterus even on transvaginal ultrasound, then it may be an ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy presents with symptoms only if it grows or gets ruptured. That is an emergency and can even be life-threatening or at the least cause liters and liters on blood loss inside the abdomen.

I advise you to go for a transvaginal scan. Rarely MRI to confirm the ectopic pregnancy. It may be dealt with medicines or go for laparoscopic removal of tube or milking whichever is feasible. Do it before it becomes an emergency.

Yesterday I went to pelvis scan only and my doctor told no sac is visible. My endometrium thickness is 14.5 mm, and she said the egg is present in the right ovary, but no sac is seen. I do not have pain or bleeding still now.

Dr. Deepali Raina

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Please repeat the scan from some other radiologist. If ultrasound is not able to make a definitive diagnosis, you will have to go for a diagnostic laparoscopy.

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

Will I get an ectopic pregnancy if I had sex on the date of period?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a query about my period. My actual due date for my period was 28th of last month. I had unprotected sex on the 27th. I waited two days for my period and I took emergency contraceptive on the last minute to 72 hour. My period got delayed for eight days and got it on the 5th of thi...  Read Full »