Q. My blood and urine pregnancy test are positive, but there is no visible sac in the scan. Is this ectopic?

Dr. Deepali Raina
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

My last period was before a month, and it has been nine days I missed my period. I got positive in my blood and urine test. My beta hCG on last month was 675, and yesterday it was 3300. I almost completed 10 days after the missed period. Yesterday I went for scan my doctor told no sac is visible. I have some breast pain heavily and feel like period pain but no other symptoms. My TSH value is 2.9, and my doctor suspected may be ectopic. I do not have any pain or bleeding so far, but it is only like period pain. Please help.

#

By the dates, you are five weeks pregnant. If no gestational sac is visible in your uterus even on transvaginal ultrasound, then it may be an ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy presents with symptoms only if it grows or gets ruptured. That is an emergency and can even be life-threatening or at the least cause liters and liters on blood loss inside the abdomen.

I advise you to go for a transvaginal scan. Rarely MRI to confirm the ectopic pregnancy. It may be dealt with medicines or go for laparoscopic removal of tube or milking whichever is feasible. Do it before it becomes an emergency.

Yesterday I went to pelvis scan only and my doctor told no sac is visible. My endometrium thickness is 14.5 mm, and she said the egg is present in the right ovary, but no sac is seen. I do not have pain or bleeding still now.

#

Please repeat the scan from some other radiologist. If ultrasound is not able to make a definitive diagnosis, you will have to go for a diagnostic laparoscopy.

|