Q. Kindly tell me the risks of pregnancy in women over 40.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I had a c-section with my first pregnancy 19 years ago. I have fallen in love with a wonderful man who does not have kids. I and my fiance have been discussing and are planning to have a baby. I am concerned if I am able to have a VBAC delivery with my second pregnancy since my first pregnancy resulted in an emergency C-section. Also, I am 48. What are the risks of pregnancy in women over 40?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Pregnancy at the age of 48 years definitely come with certain risks like an increased risk of chromosomal abnormalities due to the defective ovum being released. Also there may be a difficulty in the conception itself. VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) delivery has to take into a lot of factors into consideration like the cause for previous LSCS (lower segment cesarean section), the gestational age at which you had cesarean, the present baby weight, and if there is a spontaneous onset of labor or not and many other factors. I would suggest you go for an opinion from your gynaecologist before planning for a conception and take a pre-conceptional counselling so as to avoid any complications possible during pregnancy.

|