Q. Which specialist would perform surgery of a galactocele?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Breast Gland Excision or Mammogram? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Which specialist would perform surgery of a galactocele?

My wife stopped breastfeeding our third child five months ago, after a lot of sucking difficulties and painful nipples. Because of that, her breasts plugged and did not empty properly. She has tried breast pump without any luck. She has now developed painful galactoceles on both her breasts. How long does it take before these galactoceles disappear by themselves? They have not declined in size since all this time. Is it necessary to go for a surgery? If so, what specialist would perform this kind of surgery?