Q. Which specialist would perform surgery of a galactocele?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on Jul 19, 2018

My wife stopped breastfeeding our third child five months ago, after a lot of sucking difficulties and painful nipples. Because of that, her breasts plugged and did not empty properly. She has tried breast pump without any luck. She has now developed painful galactoceles on both her breasts. How long does it take before these galactoceles disappear by themselves? They have not declined in size since all this time. Is it necessary to go for a surgery? If so, what specialist would perform this kind of surgery?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

A galactocele is a milk filled space inside the breast. Breast problems are common after childbirth in those women who had stopped breastfeeding or experienced sucking difficulties.

Firstly, I hope you are sure that it is truly a galactocele and not any other swelling. Probably it was diagnosed by mammography already. If not, you have to get it done first to assess the nature of the swelling.

However, considering this as a galactocele, I understand your concern, as five months has passed without any regression of size.

Now, as per my opinion, there are limited options for conservative therapy. Let us hope that it might resolve on its own.

There are two options available. The first one is to go for aspiration of the cysts under ultrasonography guidance. If this fails, the second option of open surgery should be considered for drainage.

And a general surgeon can perform these procedures after a proper diagnosis, and few preoperative investigations.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for replying. Does a galactocele disturb the female hormones? My wife became pregnant again three months after the delivery. But, they could not find any fetal heart activity several weeks after a positive pregnancy test, just a hint of a yolk. There was a slow increase of hCG levels up to 900, before it dropped down to 200, accompanied by bleeding. The pregnancy ended in an abortion, three months into it. My wife had several episodes of bleeding during these three months. Is it possible that the galactoceles have influenced the hormones, and has lead to pregnancy complications? Or is it just a coincidence?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I am sorry about your loss.

• In reality, the fact is just the reverse. A sudden change in hormonal levels can influence the ductal system inside the breasts, and there can be a secretion inside, and a block at the outlet, resulting in a galactocele.
  • So, pregnancy cannot be affected by it, but the reverse, that is, change in the hormonal profile during pregnancy can affect the lactating breast is true. So, this is not the issue that caused the miscarriage.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is clearly acromioclavicular joint injury (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two ligaments which basically keep our ACL joint in position. In type 3 injuries, both ligaments are torn. Now, according to literature, treatment of type 1,2 inju...  Read Full

How To Detect Breast Cancer?

Article Overview: This article discusses how to detect breast cancer through self-examination and mammogram test. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Medical Oncologist

Breast cancer is now emerging as one of the leading causes of death in women. Unfortunately, we do not have any vaccines to prevent it. The lumps may be painless, so patients may delay the visit to the doctor. A breast lump may be benign (simple or innocent) or malignant (cancer). Early Detection I...  Read Article

Why is there aspiration of feeds in baby and what can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has undergone hospitalization many times since birth. She has been placed with tracheostomy and gastrostomy tube due to which mobility of the baby is not possible. We are consulting with renowned ENT surgeons and pediatric doctors and we had been told that ''the aspiration can b...  Read Full >>

Dr. E Venkata Ramana
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The aspiration of feeds is due to the presence of bulbar palsy and palate pharyngeal muscle incoordination. As per the doctor's advise, try to improve the nutrition of the child and weight. Once the child gains a proper weight, then decannulation (removing tracheostomy...  Read Full