Delayed Speech

Is it normal for a 3-year-old not to communicate through complete sentences?

Query: Hi I have a 3 year old daughter . She is having 11.5 kg of weight and 89 cm in height. She can play ,run and tell entire rhymes, but she is unable to form her own language to communicate. She often repeats the entire statement or questions . She can follow instructions like bring that ball or give ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: This is a very common query... And the answer is not simple. I have seen several children with this complaint and most of them acquire normal speech as they grow.. These children mostly interact to parents by hand signs.. Easy thing which i say to parents is nor to respond to non verbal communicatio...  Read Full »

Can occupational therapy help a child affected by meningitis at birth achieve normal activities?

Query: My 1.5 year boys got meningitis at time of birth..after 21 days of antibiotics he recovered..now he is not yet achived standing and speech..we did MRI.. Impression 1.cystic encephalomalacia changes and gliosis in the bilateral frontal white matter region more on right and exvacuo dukation of the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: If its unfortunate that your son got meningitis at birth.. The MRI findings you have shared is showing damage done to the brain by the infection... If I want to be precise then there is only rare chance for your son to be like normal children... But with physiotherapy we can try to achieve near norm...  Read Full »

Why does my 2.4 years old son only says a few words clearly?

Query: My son is 2yrs 4mths and is not talking as I expect . He says few words but not clear. He says mummy and daddy clearly and sometime when he doesn't like something he would say " oh no". My worry is he is not saying the basic words and sometimes he just look at you as you talk.  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello Welcome to icliniq I can see that you are worried about possible delay in speech. It is good that he is saying single words clearly and using 2 word phrases. Did you check whether his ears and hearing is normal ? Is his motor development and social development normal fine? Follow thes...  Read Full »

Why is my 2-year-old son, not speaking yet?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 2 years old and he is not speaking yet. He only used to tell some words like dad, banana, ice, etc. He is not trying to talk a full sentence. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is variation in development of speech and language skills in children. It starts from around 6 months and goes on till 3 to 4 years. So, need not worry. Sometimes, boys develop speech and language skills slower than girls. It also depends on as to when either f...  Read Full »

What could I do to help my 3-year-old son to increase his vocabulary?

Query: Hello doctor, My oldest son is 3 years old. He understands everything you say to him, but he refuses to talk. He used to say a variety of words and now he only does animal noises and a handful of words. I would like to know what I could do in order to encourage his vocabulary or if I should be worri...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like a regression of speech is there with normal receptive skills and affected expressive skills. Rather than finding the cause now focus on how to improve the condition. Apps are good but not in the initial stage. Start with some interesting real-life activit...  Read Full »

What are the laboratory results for neurological issues indicating?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going to post some lab results for my 3.5 years old son who has been experiencing neurological issues which lead us to have this testing done. Not sure where to go from here, if someone can please shed some light for us.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The stool report is showing positive result for fungal infection which can be treated by antifungal medication. Your child's CBC report and other reports seem to be normal and you may...  Read Full »

My 26-month-old child had two words till 18 months and none after that. Is this autism?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a mother of a 26-month-old boy. He usually developed until around 18 months then began falling behind. He had maybe two words by 18 months, and now he has none at all. We strongly suspect he has autism (many red flags present, MCHAT score of 13) and is working towards getting him a...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many times in autism, the language is not lost the sensory issues, and the attention deficits are so higher that the child fails to pay attention to speech. Language is based mainly on attention and imitation. In many autism cases, the need to express is hampered, an...  Read Full »

1-year-old baby has not started saying any word. Is this a sign of autism?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1-year-old son has not started saying any word like mama or dada yet and I am worried. It could be sign of autism, though he turns when his name is mentioned, plays with his siblings, etc.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Even though the child turns when his name is mentioned I would advise you to first get a hearing screening done to rule out hearing issues. Next, about the autism. Generally autism cannot be diagnosed in children below the age of 3 years. So it would be very harsh to la...  Read Full »

Why is a 2-year-old not speaking properly?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 2 years old. Now, she is speaking only 3 to 4 words. She is not talking like other children. Please tell me if she has any kind of disorder. I have been to the doctor once and he told nothing to worry. After 2 years only they can speak. But my elder daughter spoke when ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Parmar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I got your concern. Based on the above history, my comments are: 1. I think she can listen and understand but there is a problem with expression. 2. Her weight is low according to age, so give her more energy rich food to gain weight. 3. Let her play with same age...  Read Full »

Why is my 3 year old speaking only very few words?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3 years old. He is not speaking like other children of the same age. He is speaking very few words. What do I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Kanwar Deep

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. He has probably not interacted verbally enough with family members and other children of his age. Presuming his hearing capacity is normal, the above mentioned might be the reason. Please interact with him more often in the form of talking to him and storytelling wh...  Read Full »