Delayed Speech

How to know whether my son has autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The IQ test does not decide autism. It is determined by the clinical symptoms and signs in your child. Some important signs are disinterest in surroundings, delayed learning skills, delayed language, repetitive and aggressive behavior. If these are present in your ch...  Read Full »

How to deal with my son's behavioral problems?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 5.5 years old with developmental delay, speech delay and poor motor skills. He is always hitting, biting and scratching other kids or me when he is upset for any reason. I do not know how to deal with this. I have tried many things, but nothing works. Also, he has a 9 year ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Young children with delayed milestones are at high risk of conditions like ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactive disorder) or autism or even behavioral problems. Probably, he needs a careful evaluation to find these problems. Having said that, try...  Read Full »

Will usage of electronic devices cause delay in speech in small children?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is three and a half years old. He just speaks mom and dad. He suffered from RDS at birth and he was on an incubator for four days. Now, he is healthy, active, and naughty. But he is not in a mood to speak other words. We used to give him a tab to watch cartoons when he was two yea...  Read Full »

Dr. Oliver Chiapco

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. A three and a half-year-old child should be able to speak three-word phrases and should know at least a fifty-word vocabulary. He should be able to speak clearly and intelligibly. If he is not doing the above-mentioned activities, then he shou...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a 3-year-old not to communicate through complete sentences?

Query: Hi I have a 3 year old daughter . She is having 11.5 kg of weight and 89 cm in height. She can play ,run and tell entire rhymes, but she is unable to form her own language to communicate. She often repeats the entire statement or questions . She can follow instructions like bring that ball or give ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: This is a very common query... And the answer is not simple. I have seen several children with this complaint and most of them acquire normal speech as they grow.. These children mostly interact to parents by hand signs.. Easy thing which i say to parents is nor to respond to non verbal communicatio...  Read Full »

Can occupational therapy help a child affected by meningitis at birth achieve normal activities?

Query: My 1.5 year boys got meningitis at time of birth..after 21 days of antibiotics he recovered..now he is not yet achived standing and speech..we did MRI.. Impression 1.cystic encephalomalacia changes and gliosis in the bilateral frontal white matter region more on right and exvacuo dukation of the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: If its unfortunate that your son got meningitis at birth.. The MRI findings you have shared is showing damage done to the brain by the infection... If I want to be precise then there is only rare chance for your son to be like normal children... But with physiotherapy we can try to achieve near norm...  Read Full »

Why does my 2.4 years old son only says a few words clearly?

Query: My son is 2yrs 4mths and is not talking as I expect . He says few words but not clear. He says mummy and daddy clearly and sometime when he doesn't like something he would say " oh no". My worry is he is not saying the basic words and sometimes he just look at you as you talk.  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello Welcome to icliniq I can see that you are worried about possible delay in speech. It is good that he is saying single words clearly and using 2 word phrases. Did you check whether his ears and hearing is normal ? Is his motor development and social development normal fine? Follow thes...  Read Full »

Why is my 2-year-old son, not speaking yet?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 2 years old and he is not speaking yet. He only used to tell some words like dad, banana, ice, etc. He is not trying to talk a full sentence. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is variation in development of speech and language skills in children. It starts from around 6 months and goes on till 3 to 4 years. So, need not worry. Sometimes, boys develop speech and language skills slower than girls. It also depends on as to when either f...  Read Full »

What could I do to help my 3-year-old son to increase his vocabulary?

Query: Hello doctor, My oldest son is 3 years old. He understands everything you say to him, but he refuses to talk. He used to say a variety of words and now he only does animal noises and a handful of words. I would like to know what I could do in order to encourage his vocabulary or if I should be worri...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like a regression of speech is there with normal receptive skills and affected expressive skills. Rather than finding the cause now focus on how to improve the condition. Apps are good but not in the initial stage. Start with some interesting real-life activit...  Read Full »

What are the laboratory results for neurological issues indicating?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going to post some lab results for my 3.5 years old son who has been experiencing neurological issues which lead us to have this testing done. Not sure where to go from here, if someone can please shed some light for us.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The stool report is showing positive result for fungal infection which can be treated by antifungal medication. Your child's CBC report and other reports seem to be normal and you may...  Read Full »

My 26-month-old child had two words till 18 months and none after that. Is this autism?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a mother of a 26-month-old boy. He usually developed until around 18 months then began falling behind. He had maybe two words by 18 months, and now he has none at all. We strongly suspect he has autism (many red flags present, MCHAT score of 13) and is working towards getting him a...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many times in autism, the language is not lost the sensory issues, and the attention deficits are so higher that the child fails to pay attention to speech. Language is based mainly on attention and imitation. In many autism cases, the need to express is hampered, an...  Read Full »