Q. Kindly have a look on the laboratory results for neurological issues and explain.

Published on Sep 19, 2019

I am going to post some lab results for my 3.5 years old son who has been experiencing neurological issues which lead us to have this testing done. Not sure where to go from here, if someone can please shed some light for us.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have read your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The stool report is showing positive result for fungal infection which can be treated by antifungal medication. Your child's CBC report and other reports seem to be normal and you may need not worry about that. However, the BUN to creatinine ratio is high which can be due to kidney disease but creatinine is within limit. You can discuss regrading that with doctor and urine output also need to be measured.

Your child's delay in speech development is not related to any of the provided reports. You need to consult pediatric neurologist for detailed neurological evaluation and to exclude developmental delay including speech and language problem. Without examination, medicine cannot be prescribed. So you should first consult pediatrician who has done specialization in neurology called pediatric neurologist.

What sorts of antifungal medication would you recommend given the test result? You state that the BUN to creatinine ratio is high but counter that by saying creatinine is within limit, is this a cause for concern?

Hematology Pathology
#

Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have read your concern and below is my advise. The fungus can be seen normally as well in stool examination due to contamination or normal flora of intestine. So if your child does not have chronic diarrhea then no need for antifungal medicine. You can discuss regrading treatment if persistent diarrhea is present for more than two weeks. If no diarrhea, then do not worry. Positive result could be due to normal commensal of intestine flora.

The BUN to creatinine ration is usually up to 20 to 25. But in your child it is high. However creatinine and BUN are not much altered. So, it should be concerned and your child's urine analysis should be done. His urine output also needs to be checked. If clinically after examination any sign of kidney disease is not present, then do not worry and just repeat BUN to creatinine ration after a few days.

What food can help maintaining BP in a patient with creatinine level 2.7?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's creatinine is 2.7. Now BP is brought to normal. What food should I give and what to do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, you should get regular follow-ups with her doctor (nephrologist, cardiologist or even internal medicine specialist). Foods to avoid are salt, dark-colored colas, canned foods, orange, and orange juice, red rice, etc. Foods to eat are water the best you can drink...  Read Full

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full >>

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome in icliniq.com.I would like to tell you that fungal infection in ear is quite common and it may be treated by: Cleaning the ear: Cleaning may be done by suction or syringing or by cotton swab. Antifungal ear drops to be used three or four times a day. Anti-inflammatory medicine to reliev...  Read Full

Autism: Seeing the World from a Different Angle

Article Overview: This article is intended to raise awareness about autism and its different manifestations, and how they can be effectively managed. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Autism is a group of similar conditions that affect communication, interaction, behavior, language skills, and development. It is now referred to as autism spectrum disorder due to the broad range of symptoms and variations in its severity. That is, it may be so mild that the child can go well into ...  Read Article

Ask a Hematologist Now