Q. When should I get my child tested for speech delay or growth issues?

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati

My 3.8-year-old son has started getting hair on his hands and leg. Can you please tell me if I should be concerned?

#

I can understand your concern. It usually is because of hormonal upregulation and is of no concern if he is physically active, no other major health complaints. It usually subsides on its own.

Feel free to connect if there is any concern.

Physically he is active. No health issues observed, and no allergies reported so far. He has a good vocabulary, just for certain words, pronunciation is not clear, but we (his parents) and his preschool teachers can understand what he says. He is also able to convey what he wants.

#

Thank you for more details. He is absolutely fine at present. There is no need for worrying.

Can you please tell me how and when we need to get him tested for speech delays or growth issues? He has some cavities in his front teeth, for which we will be taking him to a dentist. Apart from that, should we get him analyzed for growth issues? Some people tell him he is a special child due to his clarity issue. I am very much concerned. Kindly help.

#

I can understand your concern.

• Best time to get an assessment for speech delay is when you (parents) or his teacher (if going to school) noticed that he is having difficulty in speech or cannot communicate with his peer group.
  • Dentition can affect speech. So get clarified from the dentist.
  • Make sure he does not have a hearing issue. Hearing problems also affect speech.
  • It is a good time to get accessed for speech, now.
  • Consult with a development Pediatrician for the same.

|