iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPediatricsmeningitisCan occupational therapy help a child affected by meningitis at birth achieve normal activities?

My son got meningitis at birth. Can occupational therapy help him achieve normal activities?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At June 22, 2020
Reviewed AtSeptember 22, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My 1.5-year-old son got meningitis at the time of birth. After 21 days of taking antibiotics, he got recovered. Now, he is not able to stand and speak. We did an MRI. It shows an impression of cystic encephalomalacia changes and gliosis in bilateral frontal white matter on right. There is a paucity of white matter with thinning of corpus callosum due to chronic sequelae including HIE. My pediatrician told me that he will get recovered by doing occupational therapy but pediatric orthopedist told me that he is a special child.

Kindly suggest.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your son got meningitis at birth. His MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) findings show brain damage caused due to infection. There is a rare chance for your son to be a normal child. With physiotherapy, he can try to achieve normal activities. Your son will have a developmental delay but he can be able to achieve milestones and he cannot be able to cope with his equal-aged children. Continue giving physiotherapy and give him a chance to have improvement as the brain is still growing. So let him try to achieve as much as he can.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy
Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy