Q. I am on OCP and am supposed to get my period in two days, but I am spotting. Can I take Primolut N?

Dr. Artur Holubka
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2021

I am taking Yaz as a contraceptive for three months. I am expecting my periods to come after two days. But I have spotting always. Can I take Primolut along with it?

#

Yaz (Ethinyl estradiol with Drospirenone) is a combined hormonal contraceptive pill with antimineralocorticoid and antiandrogenic action. The contraceptive effect of combined oral contraceptive drugs (COC) is based on various factors. The important factors are suppression of ovulation and changes in the endometrium. If you have used it correctly, the pearl index (the number of pregnancies in 100 women per year) is less than 1. If the tablets are misused or missed, there is an increase in the pearl index. The menstrual period becomes regular in women taking COC. The intensity and duration of bleeding also get decreased and it reduces the risk of anemia. As your period is on the way, you need not take another drug from the contraceptive group.

|