Delirium

What causes an increase in hallucinations in older adults?

Query: Hi. My grandmother is 80years of age. Over the past year, her hillucinations have increased with time, from what was occasionally to now daily. I've had her to the doc for blood tests, she's perfectly healthy in all bodily aspects. Treated for mild kidney infection on two occasions recently. Hilluci...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello Dear dementia with hallucinations may be common in old age people. Intermittent episodes of delirium may increase the future risk of dementia. Most commonly infections ( urinary, respiratory), electrolyte imbalance, hormonal imbalance, drugs or recent surgery cause delirium. Dementia may ...  Read Full »

Can Ciprofloxacin cause delirium in elderly?

Query: Hi doctor, Can Ciprofloxacin cause delirium in the elderly? And if yes, how long does it last?  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Ciprofloxacin can cause delirium especially in elderly. But, you need to know that it is an uncommon side effect of Ciprofloxacin and before terming it as drug induced delirium other causes have to be ruled out. If the delirium is due to Ciprofloxacin, then ...  Read Full »

My father has viral fever associated with delirium. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 57 years old. He is having 102.3 fever and also some confusion and disorientation. The physician he consulted did blood work and concluded it to be viral but the delirium started after the consultation. Getting worried. I can send the blood reports across. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he has a fever and is delirious, it is not something that should be managed at home. Delirium can be due to toxic reasons (toxins can be substances released by microorganisms during an infection, prescription medicines or illegal drugs) or metabolic reasons (low o...  Read Full »

I have fever with dizziness, confusion and eye burning. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a fever of 101 C. It has been almost 12 hours. I cannot breathe properly. My eyes are burning. I ate a Paracetamol 650 mg about one hour ago. Head feels heavy. Dizziness and confusion are the symptoms.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After careful analysis of the history provided, I would like to assure you that having symptoms of eye burns, dizziness and confusion while having a viral fever is normal. You do not have to worry about that. Having said that, since you have mentioned that you have ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a crawling sensation post penis surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 year old bachelor. For the past one year, I have a feeling that something is crawling throughout my body. I am feeling this sensation after my penis frenulum surgery. It starts from penis glans and spreads across my whole body. Right now, I do not want any medication or treatme...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The feeling of insects crawling inside your body is mainly a psychological condition known as delirium. There are no tests or investigations to prove it. Rarely, it can be because of parasitic infection inside the skin, lungs, and muscles. Anti-helminthic tablets Albend...  Read Full »

Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep? My 25-year-old daughter is delirious. She does not know who she is, thinks she was in a coma, etc. Hospital ran blood and urine test and a cat scan, all were normal. No new medications. I thought it has to be something physical beca...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answer to your query is yes. Prolonged fasting and no sleep can cause mental and physical symptoms similar to mania or delirium or coma. It would have been helpful if serum electrolytes, catecholamine levels, and urea levels were recorded or mentioned because BP is ...  Read Full »