Q. Does dengue cause menstruation-like bleeding?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on Aug 17, 2017

My fiancee had a bleeding on the 25th of last month. It lasted for about four to five days. She then got dengue and on the 14th of this month, had mild spotting for a day and a half. The doctor said it could be the dengue causing the spotting. She has not gotten her periods yet. I have read that there could be bleeding during pregnancy as well.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If she had her period on the 25th of last month, then there is no chance that the bleeding on the 14th of this month was due to pregnancy. If it was due to pregnancy, then it should have come around the 25th of this month.

• But, if you suspect a pregnancy from before that, then do a urine pregnancy test. If it is positive, she is pregnant and if it comes negative, then it was her menses and not a pregnancy bleeding.
  • And, yes dengue can cause bleeding during the cycle. So, the bleeding on the 14th of this month is more likely to be due to dengue.
  • If pregnancy is positive, do a sonography to confirm the visibility and the advancement of pregnancy. But, most probably, she will not require one because, from your history, it is more likely that she is not pregnant.

So, do a urine pregnancy test first.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can brownish discharge after protected sex be implantation bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex. Two weeks later, I had light brownish to light red color discharge that lasted for a day and the next day there was light brownish discharge. Is this implantation bleeding? I am worried. If so, after how days of implantation bleeding can I do blood test or hCG to dete...  Read Full »

Faint T Lines Appearing On Urine Pregnancy Tests,While Ultrasounds Say I Am Not Pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full »

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »