Q. Does dengue cause menstruation-like bleeding?

Dr. Jimesh H. Mavani

My fiancee had a bleeding on the 25th of last month. It lasted for about four to five days. She then got dengue and on the 14th of this month, had mild spotting for a day and a half. The doctor said it could be the dengue causing the spotting. She has not gotten her periods yet. I have read that there could be bleeding during pregnancy as well.

#

If she had her period on the 25th of last month, then there is no chance that the bleeding on the 14th of this month was due to pregnancy. If it was due to pregnancy, then it should have come around the 25th of this month.

• But, if you suspect a pregnancy from before that, then do a urine pregnancy test. If it is positive, she is pregnant and if it comes negative, then it was her menses and not a pregnancy bleeding.
  • And, yes dengue can cause bleeding during the cycle. So, the bleeding on the 14th of this month is more likely to be due to dengue.
  • If pregnancy is positive, do a sonography to confirm the visibility and the advancement of pregnancy. But, most probably, she will not require one because, from your history, it is more likely that she is not pregnant.

So, do a urine pregnancy test first.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|