Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever

How to increase platelet count during dengue fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She has been suffering from fever for five days. Her fever is in the range of 99 to 102 degrees. When we visited a doctor, he asked for a blood test. The blood report shows that she is positive for dengue. The platelet count has dropped already to 52000 from 1,...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the data you have posted. Low platelet count occurs in almost 70% of people with dengue fever. Normally, in case of disease the platelet count may go low for four to five days and then starts rising. Low platelet count (<100000) has risk of bl...  Read Full »

My sister got dengue fever for the second time. Is she in danger?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister has been suffering from dengue for the past four days. She has got this fever for the second time now. The first time being eight years ago. Her platelet count today is 2.6 lakhs, PCV is 34 and WBC TC is 1900. She is being given saline along with Sumol, Ondem, Levazeo and Milk o...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. Dengue is a common viral illness. The difference is there will be profound dehydration, so keep her well hydrated. Let the saline be there and if she does not have vomitings, then give her fruit juices, ORS packets (oral reh...  Read Full »

Is my daughter's fever a symptom of dengue or swine flu?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 year old daughter has a fever for the past three days, and we are giving her Paracetamol. Since yesterday she has running nose and cough. I gave her Crocin twice in the morning three hours back, but her fever is 101.8. Should I give her Meftal P? Is there a possibility of dengue o...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you give her syrup Crocin (Paracetamol) 7 ml, thrice a day Syrup Cetirizine 2.5 ml at bedtime and Otrivin P (Xylometazoline) nasal drops, 2 drops thrice a day, if she has nasal congestion. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start tak...  Read Full »

What is the reason for fever along with skin rash and lip swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2 year old baby is suffering from fever, skin rashes, cough and vomiting after meal. What is the problem? What shall I do now? Her lips have got swollen. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. Fever with rash, vomiting and swelling of lips can occur in dengue fever and measles. I think that you should do complete blood count, CRP levels (C-reactive protein) and NS1 Antigen test (dengue). The child should be immedia...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your symptoms are not related to thyroid issue. You could be having a viral infection. So, I suggest you to take tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the me...  Read Full »

Can we identify dengue fever without lab tests?

Query: Hi, My son is a 5 year old boy. He had high fever two days back and the temperature touched 104.9. We have been giving Meftal and Paracetamol for the last two days with water bath to bring the fever down. We have also been giving Zifi 100 twice a day as prescribed by our physician. This has helped t...  Read Full »

Dr. Sarvendra Chandrama Singh

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dengue needs a confirmation of laboratory diagnosis. Unless you do a laboratory test you cannot label any disease as dengue. Dengue is a form of viral illness which is frequently associated with thrombocytopenia. If at all it is dengue following danger signs need ...  Read Full »

What to do next if one is tested positive for dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, A relative of mine is admitted to a local hospital and tested positive for dengue. His platelet count was checked thrice. The first time they checked it was yesterday afternoon, and the count was 83,000. The second time they tested him yesterday evening and the count was 81,000. The th...  Read Full »

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Internal Medicine Physician, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with body ache is one of the typical symptoms of dengue fever. There is absolutely no need to worry as long as the platelet count is more than 20,000/cmm. Only if this threshold is crossed, there is a risk of bleeding. Even in such situations, there is an optio...  Read Full »

I have a runny stomach and black stools after the flu. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had the flu for two days. That included a fever, sore throat, and runny nose with a dry cough. The flu went away and now I just have a cough, but I have developed a rash behind my ears and a runny stomach in which my stool is black.  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like a hemorrhagic fever such as dengue in which the patient presents with a bleeding manifestation of melena (black-colored stools), bleeding gums, any hemorrhagic rashes, or hematuria, etc. Black-colored stools indicate that blood is leaking from somewhere...  Read Full »

How to know the reason for tiredness and sick feeling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old girl. I have been feeling very weak and tired. I am not getting sleep during the night and so I sleep throughout the day and wake up in the evening. I smoke and drink. Last weekend, I felt horribly sick after drinking. I get major headaches at times on the right side o...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the detailed history. We have to start off by figuring out your weight loss, sick and dizzy feeling. Please obtain the following investigations and upload them. I have my concerns that you are suffering from multiple nutritional deficiency from given the...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for dengue fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from dengue fever. My consecutive platelet results are as follows. First day morning the platelet count was 85000 and the same evening it dropped to 64000. The next day it was 56000 in the morning and 62000 in the evening. Again now it dropped to 53000. What shall I do now?...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I assure you not to worry as all things may get settled with proper care and follow up.  Read Full »