Q. I was diagnosed with dengue twenty days back. Why am I still feeling tired?

I began having a low-grade fever twenty days back, and I was diagnosed with dengue. My treatment was Paracetamol 500 mg, papaya leaf extract tablets, and fluids. My main concern is that I still have a low-grade fever today with back aches, headache near temples, ringing in my ears, tiredness, and feel dizzy at most times. I do not have the usual dengue symptoms, like a rash and high fever. Now I am worried whether my dengue is gone or I have a secondary infection or my dengue has become more serious. I have had blood tests like CBC, and it is all normal. I did have an ultrasound, and mild hepatomegaly was diagnosed, which was diagnosed last year too. Kindly advise as to how to further treat or investigate my condition, as I feel very tired sometimes.

#

• Firstly, it is nothing serious. It is probably a post dengue syndrome. This is nearly present in 25 % patients after dengue. This is some weakness, fatigue, and other symptoms, which usually follows a viral infection and resolves with time.
  • Also, tests are normal including ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), which is an inflammatory marker, and it will be elevated if any illness is going on in the body. You can get CRP (C-reactive protein) levels done, as it has the same role as that of ESR.
  • You probably have feverishness, but not a fever. You just try to document the fever with a thermometer. If it does not record any significant fever, then again not to worry.
  • Prolonged lack of exercise in patients exacerbates physical weakness, so it is important you gradually begin the exercise and build it up. This will help you in reducing the symptoms. You need to assure and convince your mind that this is nothing serious. You should try to ignore this and focus on other things.
  • Continuing to work is preferable to not working at all because working is better for the patient's sense of well-being and normalcy. You have some Multivitamin supplements like syrup Zincovit, two teaspoons once a day.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|