Q. Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemia, my platelet levels are high. I am worried. Also how long should I need to wait for rechecking my blood test? When would these levels of lymphocytes and neutrophils be recovered? Would urinary infections also affect them?

#

After having a viral infection, lymphocytosis can persist for seven to ten days. Your low neutrophils are relative, and it is because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high because of inflammation or by iron deficiency anemia as a reactive thrombocytosis. Urinary infection can also lead to such a presentation. You can repeat CBC (complete blood count) after a week. Attach your reports to guide you further.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

I am having weakness, high fever and body pain. What is the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 57 years old male. I am facing weakness and high fever and body pain symptoms for a while now. Upon doing some routine tests with a local clinic, the test values are as below:RBC count- 5.48.Hemoglobin- 8.16.Hematocrit- 28.9.MCV- 52.71.MCH- 14.88.MCHC- 28.24.RC distribution width- ...  Read Full »

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »

We went for a regular check up and reports suggest leukemia. Can you help?

Query: Hello doctor,I went to the hospital for my father's normal check-up. He is 61 years old. His report looks like this: WBC 43000, platelets 1.2 L, and lymphocytes 88 %. To get it cross-checked, we went to another lab the next day and here are the counts: WBC: 38000 (Reduced by 5000), platelets 1.5 L (...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now