Q. Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemia, my platelet levels are high. I am worried. Also how long should I need to wait for rechecking my blood test? When would these levels of lymphocytes and neutrophils be recovered? Would urinary infections also affect them?

#

After having a viral infection, lymphocytosis can persist for seven to ten days. Your low neutrophils are relative, and it is because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high because of inflammation or by iron deficiency anemia as a reactive thrombocytosis. Urinary infection can also lead to such a presentation. You can repeat CBC (complete blood count) after a week. Attach your reports to guide you further.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|