Q. What causes sore throat with cough, sneezing, joint pain, and runny nose?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Published on Nov 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

For the past two weeks I have had the following symptoms: Sore throat that feel inflammed and slightly swollen, a cough, sneezing, and runny nose constantly, severe aches in my joints especially my right shoulder and wrist, my temperature keeps jumping from really high to low, constant headache, dizziness, fatigue, it hurts to swallow and no matter what I drink or how much I drink I feel constantly dehydrated and today I have come out in a rash, it is like red and purple pin pricks all over my body.

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

Bodyaches, petechiae (rashes), fatigue and dehydration points towards the diagnosis of dengue fever which may be associated with your other symptoms of sore throat and cough. To confirm that you need to undergo some tests like total blood count (platelet count), DLC, Hb, LFT, KFT. Platelet count generally decreases in dengue fever.

You need to hydrate yourself as much as you can and complete bed rest. Prevent yourself from mosquitoes as they are the carriers of this fever. It is a viral fever so no specific medicines needed. You may take analgesics for aches like Paracetamol, avoid Aspirin containing drugs. You might have a fever in the beginning which you must have ignored. If symptoms get worse you may need to see your family physician and may need hospitalization. Get your tests done and follow up as quickly as possible.

TLC, DLC, Hb, LFT, KFT.

Viral fever, Argentinian hemorrhagic fever, Hantavirus, Relapsing fever, Weil's syndrome.

Prevention from mosquitoes.

| 

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

My joint pain is affecting my academics. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing joint pains in my waist, back, and neck for a year now. Whenever I visit a hospital, I am prescribed NSAID, which gives me only a temporary relief. I want this problem to get solved permanently because it has started affecting my academics. I need your ...  Read Full »

I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Is this pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Also getting a mild fever again and again. I also have a chest X-ray done today only. Please suggest is it pneumonia and if yes how severe is it?  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now