HomeAnswersDentistrydental bracesMy orthodontist had fixed something underneath my molars. What is it?

What is the hard thing placed on the lower molars by an orthodontist called?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 7, 2022
Reviewed AtDecember 7, 2022

Patient's Query

I got my top braces on my teeth a week ago, and today I had a visit to my orthodontist as the wire was too long and poking my gum, so she cut it.

However, without informing me, she put something underneath the molars on each side. I am unsure if it is wax or something else, as it is tough to remove.

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas

I read your query and can understand your concern.

It could be a bite block given on the occlusal surface of molars to get an open bite to correct some irregular alignment of teeth you might be having. The dentist will remove it when the bite is corrected in the next couple of months.

Those might be rubber bands between the first molar tooth and the premolar in front of it. It is done to create space so that metal bands can be fixed on them to get anchorage while retracting or aligning other front incisor teeth.

Explain the correct positions of those wax-like thing or post a picture.

Please put a picture of the area for me to give a better opinion.

Thank you and take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dentistry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy