Q. I have pain in my restored tooth, but there is no swelling. Is it an emergency?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I had my filling two years back on my left wisdom tooth. It was in the center and a deeper cavity, near to the pulp. One year back, I had pain and consulted the doctor. She told me that I was not infected and gave me some medication. I did not have the drug, and I believed I could manage it with my diet. I have severe intermediate pain in my wisdom tooth for two weeks and slight pain and numbness in the remaining time. When I started to avoid sweet foods, junk, sodas, and citrus foods, I could manage the severe pain. But the slight pain and numbness are still there. I do not have swelling or any color change in the particular area. Is it an emergency? Please reply.

#

As per your case history, if there is slight or severe pain, it indicates infection. But there are two possibilities. The first one is filling may be defective, or it has undergone some wear and tear, due to which there may be a gap that is causing fluids to pass and cause pain. Secondly, wisdom teeth can frequently get infected due to lack of proper brushing because of their location in the mouth where brushing becomes difficult. So there are two possibilities that I could rule out only after looking at the photograph of the area involved. Right now, it is not an emergency.

After one week, if the pain continues, you may be required for a radiograph, and accordingly, we can initiate the treatment plan. In dentistry, emergency means swelling, pus formation, and acute pain with fever and swelling in the head and neck region.

However, if you have only mild pain, not severe to cause inconvenience, then I suggest the following medication for one week:

• Gargle with Chlorohexidine mouth wash twice daily.
  • Fluoridated toothpaste such as RA thermoseal (Potassium nitrate and Sodium monofluorophosphate) for one month, preferably before sleep.

Permanent opinion can be given only after a photograph of the area and the X-ray, if available.

I hope you got my answer. If you need any further assistance and help in this regard, it will be my pleasure to help.

|