Q. I have pain in my restored tooth, but there is no swelling. Is it an emergency?

Answered by
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2021

Hello doctor,

I had my filling two years back on my left wisdom tooth. It was in the center and a deeper cavity, near to the pulp. One year back, I had pain and consulted the doctor. She told me that I was not infected and gave me some medication. I did not have the drug, and I believed I could manage it with my diet. I have severe intermediate pain in my wisdom tooth for two weeks and slight pain and numbness in the remaining time. When I started to avoid sweet foods, junk, sodas, and citrus foods, I could manage the severe pain. But the slight pain and numbness are still there. I do not have swelling or any color change in the particular area. Is it an emergency? Please reply.

Thank you.



Welcome to

As per your case history, if there is slight or severe pain, it indicates infection. But there are two possibilities. The first one is filling may be defective, or it has undergone some wear and tear, due to which there may be a gap that is causing fluids to pass and cause pain. Secondly, wisdom teeth can frequently get infected due to lack of proper brushing because of their location in the mouth where brushing becomes difficult. So there are two possibilities that I could rule out only after looking at the photograph of the area involved. Right now, it is not an emergency.

After one week, if the pain continues, you may be required for a radiograph, and accordingly, we can initiate the treatment plan. In dentistry, emergency means swelling, pus formation, and acute pain with fever and swelling in the head and neck region.

However, if you have only mild pain, not severe to cause inconvenience, then I suggest the following medication for one week:

  • Gargle with Chlorohexidine mouth wash twice daily.
  • Fluoridated toothpaste such as RA thermoseal (Potassium nitrate and Sodium monofluorophosphate) for one month, preferably before sleep.

Permanent opinion can be given only after a photograph of the area and the X-ray, if available.

I hope you got my answer. If you need any further assistance and help in this regard, it will be my pleasure to help.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What can be done for dislodged tooth filling with a lump in gums?

I have a dental phobia and will need to wait to be treated at my local hospital ... I will not suggest you having Flucloxacillin 500 mg because it is not effective for dental infections ...   Read full

Smile Design

Smile design is a dental procedure that will try to improve the quality of smile in a patient ... The patient's smile can be enhanced by tooth implants, dental veneers, composite bonding, and tee...   Read full

Pulpectomy - Types, Indications, Contraindications, and Prevention

Dental caries or tooth decay, caused by the acid produced in the mouth by bacteria, can affect the enamel, dentin, and reach the pulp ... The dental pulp is the living part of the tooth ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.