Q. Having problem with tooth filling. Would it be close to the nerve?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I recently broke a part of my back tooth besides an old filling. A week ago, my dentist removed the old filling and repaired everything with white filling. Since then, I have been getting a sharp pinch to the center of my tooth if I try to chew with it. There is no pain. It is a little sensitive to cold and hot. My bite seems fine and nothing feels off about it. So, I do not think it is a high filling. The filling inside my tooth is deep. There is a lot more depth than my other teeth. So my question is, is this something that requires a crown or root canal to fix the pinching problem when chewing or will it possibly go away? Could it be that the filling is too close to the nerve? Also, when he did the filling, he got some of the filling material on my top teeth and I cannot get it off by cleaning it. Is there any way to get that off of there? Or am I stuck with the rough texture? Thank you for your time.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The sensitivity is indeed due to deep filling very close to the nerve for comfort.
  • Usually, if it is very deep some dentists put a base below the permanent filling to prevent temperature difference inside the mouth to transfer it to the nerve.
  • If it is not possible, then the other option is to do root canal treatment and a ceramic crown over it.
  • If the dentist has filled the cavity using glass ionomer cement that is GIC material, then it does have fluoride release feature, which forms a fluorapatite crystals between the nerves and the filling, thus stopping the sensitivity.
  • Observe for one week whether you get relief from the problem, else you need to go back to your dentist and tell him this problem. Mostly he will suggest root canal treatment or sometimes calcium temporary filling for a few weeks before filling it again permanently.
  • The filling material, which is stuck on the top teeth will abrade away in a few days time, so do not worry about it. Also, when you are going back to the dentist, please ask him to correct it.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

I just realized that I forgot a part of the details. My tooth was hurting a few weeks ago and pinching while chewing. The tooth broke before I could get to dentist.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• Yes, that is an important detail, which means that the root of that tooth is already infected.
  • The only treatment now possible is root canal treatment and a ceramic crown over it. Else, you will have to extract it.
  • It is always better to go for root canal treatment. You need to start antibiotics and some painkillers while undergoing RCT.

| 

I have pain after temporary filling during RCT. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, In root canal treatment, even after temporary filling, pain is still present. If something touches the tooth, there is extreme pain. Is it normal or do I need to get the tooth removed?  Read Full »

Why do I have pain after root canal treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I had minor tooth pain before and got a composite filling. Then, I had extreme pain and opted for root canal treatment. I had a root canal before three days. I feel extreme pain and my tooth is still sensitive to cold. Is it possible that the nerve was not completely removed? Also, it h...  Read Full »