Q. What can be done for dislodged tooth filling with a lump in gums?

Answered by
Dr. Sangeetha Bastan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have a tooth filling that has come out, and woke with a white lump beneath it on gum, swollen lower face too on the other side of the site of lump. I had a dull, drumming pain during the night before. I rinsed with warm salt water this morning. Wondering if Flucloxacillin 500 mg which I was prescribed for a bad reaction to summer insect bites and too worried to take, would they help gum infection or abscess? Are four tablets a day all right? I have a dental phobia and will need to wait to be treated at my local hospital.



Welcome to

Your tooth is probably infected which has caused the white lump on your gums. The decay has gone inside the pulp, almost touching your nerve and there is infection beneath the root of your teeth which has caused this swelling. You will have to confirm the status of your teeth by taking an X-ray, to check how much the infection is affecting your tooth. I will not suggest you having Flucloxacillin 500 mg because it is not effective for dental infections.

To suggest an antibiotic, I need to know the proper medical history of yours. At present, take an antibiotic and pain killer so the swelling subsides and meet a dentist as soon as possible for further treatment. Can I know if you have any allergies for any medicine, or any systemic diseases present? If so, I can prescribe the medicine for you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can I drink water after a tooth filling?

.. liquid or eating a solid food after a composite filling has no effect on the restoration. If you feel any sensitivity, then there can be a pulpal exposure or a over filling. In both the cases, X-ray has to be taken. So, I suggest you to share the ...   Read full

Which is better for tooth abscess in 4 year old- pulpotomy or extraction?

Hello doctor, My 4 year old kid has tooth abscess with pus on the upper arc of front teeth ... What should we do now - tooth extraction or pulpotomy ...   Read full

I have a tooth abscess and the pain is getting worse. Should I look for another dentist?

A tooth abscess is a painful condition and needs antibiotic cover along with painkillers for relief ... Do you have the X-ray of the tooth ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered
Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness that has taken a massive toll on public health. Read below ...  Read more»
Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.