Q. What can be done for dislodged tooth filling with a lump in gums?

Dr. Sangeetha Bastan
Published on Feb 13, 2019

I have a tooth filling that has come out, and woke with a white lump beneath it on gum, swollen lower face too on the other side of the site of lump. I had a dull, drumming pain during the night before. I rinsed with warm salt water this morning. Wondering if Flucloxacillin 500 mg which I was prescribed for a bad reaction to summer insect bites and too worried to take, would they help gum infection or abscess? Are four tablets a day all right? I have a dental phobia and will need to wait to be treated at my local hospital.

#

Your tooth is probably infected which has caused the white lump on your gums. The decay has gone inside the pulp, almost touching your nerve and there is infection beneath the root of your teeth which has caused this swelling. You will have to confirm the status of your teeth by taking an X-ray, to check how much the infection is affecting your tooth. I will not suggest you having Flucloxacillin 500 mg because it is not effective for dental infections.

To suggest an antibiotic, I need to know the proper medical history of yours. At present, take an antibiotic and pain killer so the swelling subsides and meet a dentist as soon as possible for further treatment. Can I know if you have any allergies for any medicine, or any systemic diseases present? If so, I can prescribe the medicine for you.

Can Ciprofloxacin be taken for a dental abscess?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a patient with a fresh knee replacement, and of course takes premedication Amoxicillin 2g, one-hour pretreatment. She now has a tooth abscess, and I want to give her antibiotics. My thought is, since she has to always use Penicillin as a pre-medication, I would change the antibi...  Read Full »

The tooth is sharp and cracked. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,The tooth is sharp and cracked. It is leaving a space in the mouth. What is the treatment?  Read Full »

How can I get rid of pain caused by broken tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having acute pain in gum and tooth on the left-hand side and a few days ago the left back corner tooth broke. Kindly suggest me how can I get rid of this pain and strengthen my teeth as it broke without and proper reason. Dentist advised me to take antibiotics for five days but i...  Read Full »