Q. Why is dental implant not working for me?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

I have had two failed implants. I had the first implant two years ago and it was fine for about six months and then become slightly loose. Then, they removed it and blamed the dentist who put on the crown by saying that they put too much cement. I got the second implant a few months later and after crown placement it became loose probably a week later. Both times, there was no swelling or pain. For bone implants, they told me that I had enough bone and did not need a bone graph. But, yesterday my dentist said that the latest implant caused slight bone loss. All my other teeth are healthy. I am not a smoker. Why is the implant not working?

#

• There is bone loss and it can be due to the failed implant (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If one failed, there was always very high chance of the failure of the other implant too.
  • I believe they did not give the implant a proper time to heal and are placing the crown soon. Usually after placing an implant they should have waited for 4 to 6 months before placing the top portion.
  • It also depends on many other physical factors, thus the problem cannot be pinpointed to anyone.
  • Please do not place any other implant now. Ask your dentist to just remove the top off and wait to see if the area heals and implant solidify.

For further information consult a periodontist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

|