Q. How to verify if surgeon has performed correct root extraction and implant placement?

Dr. Srinivas Saketh Gummuluru
Published on Jun 10, 2018

I went through root extraction and immediate implant surgery of my front tooth. I am 29 years old, working woman and worried about the aesthetic part of the final dental implant. If the implant is placed too deep in the bone the final tooth might appear longer than other. How to verify if the surgeon has performed correct root extraction that will not lead to cosmetic failure. Also, what is the possibility of rectification?

Dr. Srinivas Saketh Gummuluru

Dentistry Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Oral Implantologist
#

welcome to icliniq.com.

Generally, immediate placement of implant after root extraction is easier compared to placement of an implant in solid bone (because the extraction socket just guides the position of the implant to be placed). Even if the implant is placed too deep, nothing to worry as there will be an abutment placed on it later on and then impressions are taken for the crown. The length of the final artificial tooth will be normal only (not too long if the implant is deep).

To know whether your surgeon had performed the correct procedure, usually implant placement will not be done if the root extraction process is not complete. Anyways X-rays would have been taken after the procedure which will tell us about the condition. The best thing is you can directly ask your surgeon as to how the procedure had been. He will definitely give you the prognosis of the treatment.

Regarding the failure of this procedure, let us be affirmative and optimistic about it. Generally, the implant procedures are done successfully but as we all know, there can be a failure anywhere. I hope this procedure is a successful one. Just be positive and discuss with your surgeon regarding the necessary and needful precautions to be taken by you to enhance the success of the implant (the implant should get embedded with the bone for the success of it).

For more information consult an oral implantologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/oral-implantologist

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Drink a lot of water and follow the medication prescribed by the dentist. You can use ice in the extracted site to stop the bleeding. If it still continues to bleed, consult your dentist. If it stops, then from the next day, rinse mouth with salt water and turmeric mixt...  Read Full

How to Avoid Dental Neglects?

Article Overview: In recent years, most people are aware of or at least have heard of root canal treatment, crowns, bridges, dentures, and dental implants. What they do not realize is that these are treatments for a dental disaster. People go in search of a dentist only if there is a shooting pain. They forget the that there are certain preventive measures to save the tooth. This article reveals the tips and tricks for a better oral hygiene and also discusses the most common dental neglects. Read Article

From childhood, we are taught how to take care of our oral cavity, and it is engraved in our minds. Tooth brushing remains the major pillar in maintaining good oral hygiene. But, is that the only way to prevent dental disasters? Do you think we are neglecting something? The answer is yes. Statistics...  Read Article

How long does numbness last after tooth extraction?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Still, I feel tongue numbness. What is the solution?  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of ...  Read Full

Ask an Oral Implantologist Now