Q. Removing the excess filling in a tooth causes gap between tooth and bleeding. Is this normal?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I have gone to see a different dentist after I retire. My first appointment with the new dentist, they took x-rays, and the dental hygienist started to clean my teeth. She noticed an excess cement that was from my crown procedure a couple of years ago and stated that it had to be removed because it is irritating the gum in between my crown and my other tooth. By the way, when I was young, they could not save the tooth, so when they extracted it, the tooth or molar next to it started shifting in an angle creating a hole in between the two teeth. Food gets stuck in there, but when my dentist replaced the crown two years ago, I started getting relief. Until now when I went to the new dentist and her dental hygienist told me that she would remove the excess cement. That is where it started going bad and annoying. Food was getting stuck in between the teeth again.

My question is, do you think my previous dentist did the crown like that in purpose (putting excess cement to somewhat cover the hole ), or is the dental hygienist right about her findings or diagnosis? Mind you, I did not get examined by the new dentist until after the hygienist cleaned and removed the excess cement. It took her awhile to remove it and my gum was terribly bleeding. I was not hurting, but it was definitely unpleasant. Please advise.

#

I understand your concern. I saw the attachment you provided for example and got your point. (attachment provided to protect patient identity).

Removing excess cement stuck in between the crown and natural tooth is a correct procedure. This excess cement flow happens during crown fixing. This should be removed during the crown fixing appointment or the review appointment. But sometimes, this cement flows, very deep into the gums which cannot be seen clinically and easy to miss during crown fixing appointment. It can only be seen in the x-ray.

This excess cement irritate the gums constantly and pushes the gums still further down thereby increasing the space between the two teeth. Your gums should be inflamed in that region due to constant irritation. That is why you had gum bleeding in that area when the cement is removed. Please have your next appointment with the dentist. A clinical photo or your x-ray is required to determine the next procedure to stop your food lodgement.

Depending on the amount of space present, gum height in that region, your dentist may recommend you to use a periodontal proxy brush (if the space is more and cannot be closed) or close the space by a filling to the nearby tooth, or advise a new crown to compensate the space created by the previous cement flow.

And please do note that advice has been given with the details provided and present clinical photo. The x-ray of the current clinical scenario is ideally required for a correct diagnosis and treatment planning.

| 

How to maintain my gingiva without recession?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cut my gumline due to brushing too hard. I have a slight recession on my gum. I am taking good care of my teeth. But I am panic. There is no bleeding and pain present. I used a water pick to clean it. I visited a dentist before four months.  Read Full »

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »

Invisible Aligners for a Perfect Smile

Article Overview: Custom made invisible aligners are orthodontic devices that are a transparent plastic form of dental braces used to adjust or move the teeth, which encourages even adults to have a "Perfect Smile." Read Article

Everyone's dream is to have a great smile, but they get stuck where to start from. Many people are experiencing success using clear orthodontic devices called "Aligners." Orthodontic braces encourage teeth to move using brackets connected with wires. Aligners are a series of custom-made tight fitt...  Read Article