Q. Is it possible to have gingival recession by faulty brushing technique?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I have cut my gumline due to brushing too hard. I have a slight recession on my gum. I am taking good care of my teeth. But I am panic. There is no bleeding and pain present. I used a water pick to clean it. I visited a dentist before four months.

#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a pathological pocket or a healed pathological pocket. The gum recedes due to the pocket or due to faulty brushing technique. I recommend you get oral prophylaxis (dental scaling) done. Use an ultra soft toothbrush. Use modified bass technique for brushing. Also, have a habit of maintaining your brushing time within three minutes. Please let me know if you have any systemic condition like diabetes or hypertension.

Is it an emergency? Can I do it within next week? I am asking it because I do not want to lose my teeth.

#

No, it is not an emergency. Gingival recession is a slow process, and you do not worry. You can do oral prophylaxis after a week too.

|