Q. Is it possible to have gingival recession by faulty brushing technique?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I have cut my gumline due to brushing too hard. I have a slight recession on my gum. I am taking good care of my teeth. But I am panic. There is no bleeding and pain present. I used a water pick to clean it. I visited a dentist before four months.

#

I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have a pathological pocket or a healed pathological pocket. The gum recedes due to the pocket or due to faulty brushing technique. I recommend you get oral prophylaxis (dental scaling) done. Use an ultra soft toothbrush. Use modified bass technique for brushing. Also, have a habit of maintaining your brushing time within three minutes. Please let me know if you have any systemic condition like diabetes or hypertension.

| 

Is it an emergency? Can I do it within next week? I am asking it because I do not want to lose my teeth.

#

No, it is not an emergency. Gingival recession is a slow process, and you do not worry. You can do oral prophylaxis after a week too.

| 

Can I wear fixed retainer during scaling and root planing treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just been told that I have gum disease and 3 mm to 6 mm pockets. And, my wisdom teeth have 8 mm pocket. I have braces on now and I am due to have them off next month. I need to get scaling and root planing treatment to treat my gum problems. Can I still wear a fixed retainer? I r...  Read Full »

Can gingival fibrers regenerate after scaling?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it true that gingival fiber does not regenerate once destroyed? Can they regenerate in certain conditions? I got scaling of teeth done recently and developed gaps. I am wondering whether the gingiva can grow into this space.  Read Full »

Why is there sensitivity in the teeth where caps were placed?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 62 years actually went to a dentist because she felt that there is rubbing in between upper jaw tooth enamel and lower jaw tooth enamel and something sour in taste gets secreted out of it. The doctor told that there is decayed tooth on both sides. The doctor filled the ...  Read Full »