Q. My teeth are yellow. Is scaling only a temporary process to clean the teeth?

Answered by Dr. Subha and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Yellow Teeth or Tooth Decay? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: My teeth are yellow. Is scaling only a temporary process to clean the teeth?

Hello Doctor,

I am 19 years old. My teeth are yellow from childhood (from 10 years of age).

A black layer is formed at the backside of teeth. When I see my teeth it seems very dirty and too much of creamy layer is formed on my teeth especially in lower canines and lower incisors. In the lower teeth, yellowness is 'V' shaped and in upper incisors the creamy layer is much lesser than the lower ones. The creamy layer gets removed by using my nails on that, but toothpowder is not able to remove that yellownees.

I am feeling very sad while seeing my dirty teeth. My molar and premolar teeth have a black spot on them and people told me it is eaten by tooth worm. Is it true that tooth worm damages the teeth?

When I contacted a local doctor he did scaling procedure. Just after scaling procedure, all the yellowness was clear (almost 80%) and black layer at the backside was also clear. I became very happy by seeing this.

But about a month after scaling, my teeth again turned much yellowish and looks very bad and black layer at the backside of teeth also started appearing. Is scaling only a temporary process and is it complete wastage of money?

For clean teeth, is there any permanent thing which will make our teeth very much white and glowing?

Doctor gave me advice that colgate is sufficient for teeth whitening and also said do not use sensodyne toothpaste (which I was using earlier) or any mouthwash like hexidine for white teeth.  Some other doctor suggested me bleaching and glodent toothpaste.

But personally I observed that toothpaste never works on teeth. They are unable to clean teeth and so I am using toothpowder. But toothpowder also does not help in permanent whitening of teeth.

What to do from now for permanent cure which is safe for me and does not have any side effects?