HomeAnswersDentistrydentureCan Valpalst partials, teeth bonding, or fluoride help reduce the sharp pain below the teeth?

I am having shocks from my new dentures. What treatment do you suggest?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 11, 2017
Reviewed AtSeptember 1, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have an intense shocking pain around the bottom two teeth from a partial denture with wires. My X-rays show no cavity. I suspect enamel erosion. I have only five teeth. Do you recommend Valplast partials, teeth bonding, using fluoride, or another option?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. You have mentioned that you have only five teeth remaining, out of which, the two lower ones are paining. So, I suspect it to be an enamel abrasion. There is a huge difference between erosion and abrasion. Enamel erosion could be caused mainly by acid reflexes and acidic foods. But, an abrasion is caused by aging. Considering your age and the number of teeth remaining, I suspect it to be a cervical abrasion of the enamel. What happens here is, the second layer of the tooth, which is the dentin or even a pin point nerve is exposed. Further, conditions like heat or cold will result in severe sensitivity which reflects as intense shocking pain as you described. You have to get a normal tooth colored filling done in those regions to get rid of the sensitivity. Then, your partial dentures with the metal fittings can be worn on the tooth comfortably. Valplast dentures are good options because they come without the metal wire fittings. These are highly flexible dentures that fit in with the support of the adjacent teeth and tissues. If your supporting teeth are strong enough, then this option will be successful. The age of the denture is another important factor to be noted. Dentures do not fit in properly when it gets old and has been repaired multiple times. Check with your dentist regarding this. Fluoride and bonded teeth might not be great options in your case. I suggest you consult a dentist for a thorough check-up and choose the new dentures wisely.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Geethanjali. S. S
Dr. Geethanjali. S. S


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy