Q. I am having shocks from my new dentures. What treatment do you suggest?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Oct 11, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have an intense shocking pain around the bottom two teeth from a partial denture with wires. My X-rays show no cavity. I suspect enamel erosion. I have only five teeth. Do you recommend Valplast partials, teeth bonding, using fluoride, or another option? 

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your complaint and the relevant details.

• You have mentioned that you have only five teeth remaining, out of which, the two lower ones are paining. So, I suspect it to be an enamel abrasion. There is a huge difference between erosion and abrasion. Enamel erosion could be caused mainly by acid reflexes and acidic foods. But, an abrasion is caused by aging. Considering your age and the number of teeth remaining, I suspect it to be a cervical abrasion of the enamel. What happens here is, the second layer of the tooth, which is the dentin or even a pin point nerve is exposed. Further, conditions like heat or cold will result in severe sensitivity which reflects as intense shocking pain as you described.
  • You have to get a normal tooth colored filling done in those regions to get rid of the sensitivity. Then, your partial dentures with the metal fittings can be worn on the tooth comfortably.
  • Valplast dentures are good options because they come without the metal wire fittings. These are highly flexible dentures that fit in with the support of the adjacent teeth and tissues. If your supporting teeth are strong enough, then this option will be successful.
  • The age of the denture is another important factor to be noted. Dentures do not fit in properly when it gets old and has been repaired multiple times. Check with your dentist regarding this. Fluoride and bonded teeth might not be great options in your case.

I suggest you consult a dentist for a thorough check-up and choose the new dentures wisely.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

I have tooth deposits and cavities as well as swollen gums. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 15 and I have been noticing that there is an orange substance building up on some of my teeth. My gums are swollen. There is a cavity in my canine tooth and I was wondering if there was any way I can fix it without going to a dentist because my family is very poor. So, would you r...  Read Full »

What treatment will help sensitive tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having sensitivity in the upper right tooth. There is no ditch or cavity but I feel the sensitivity while eating sweets. What could be the treatment option for it?  Read Full »