Q. Can depression and sleep problems recur?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

My mother is almost 50 years old. She is a patient with high blood pressure and cholesterol; sometimes, she gets fluids in her feet. In addition, she is taking medicines for related issues. Almost six years back, due to some issues, she got into depression and was unable to sleep for more than two consecutive hours for a month. We checked her check through a psychiatrist, and then within a month, the depression and issues with sleep faded away. She took medicine only for a month. But now, for a year, she has been facing sleep issues. Sometimes she takes the medicine for sleep (prescribed by her doctor dealing with B.P and cholesterol). But the pill sometimes works only. So, for the past three nights, she could hardly sleep properly.

#

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I can understand your situation. I suggest you give your mother a tablet of Alprazolam 0.25 mg for sleep disturbance. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines with their consent. It will help her to sleep better. She needs to take antidepressant medication regularly for at least six months. I hope that you get your answer. Please let me know if you want some help.

|