Q. Can depression be a cause for weight loss?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on May 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on internet and I am afraid that I am having  the disease. Please help.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through your query.

There are many causes for weight loss. Weight loss can be due to depression. Even any chronic infection in body can cause weight loss.

If you are not taking proper diet due to gastric problem, then this might also the reason for your weight loss.

As your reports were normal, there is less chance for having malignancy. But, still if you are in doubt you can repeat your investigations.

Body pains can be due depression.

Take bland diet. Drink plenty of water. Have fiber rich diet and avoid fatty and oily food.

Get the following investigations done as soon as possible.
1. Complete blood count test.
2. Differential count test.
3. Gastroscopy.

Revert back with the reports to a general medicine physician online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I got all my tests done last month only when I was losing weight. Is it required for sure?  If yes, then I will get the again. How do I prevent depression and chronic pain? Any medication is required? Kindly suggest.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

No need of repeating the tests if you have done last month and normal.

• To overcome depression you need to avoid stress. Be positive towards life, walk for at least half an hour daily morning and evening. Try meditation. Have proper balanced diet.
  • If the aches are mild then no need of taking any medicine.

Revert back with the reports to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I got the ESR done and it came 4. Hope the result is normal?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

Yes the ESR value is normal. No need to worry.

• Take proper diet and try to be tension free and happy.
  • Daily walk, meditation or yoga will help you but if you still feel depressed then only think of taking physician consultation and medication.
  • If your pain is severe, then you can take analgesic as required.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Thank u doctor,

I consulted a physician today morning and he said that I do not have any health issue except for depression. He suggested me to take tablet Tryptomer 10mg for my nerve pain. Will this help me out?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

• It will help you and also take care of depression.
  • Do not take it for a long time and follow your treating physician instructions. Wish you a speedy recovery.

For further queries consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Why is there a skin discoloration in my back?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with cervical dystonia, a chronic neck disorder for most of my adult life. It is extremely debilitating and treatment resistant. The onset was after car accidents, stress and substance abuse at age from 19 to 21. I am no longer smoke or drink and have stopped before ...  Read Full »

Why am I always hungry and thirsty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full »