iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatrydepressionDo my mood swings and headaches indicate depression?

Can mood swings and headaches be a sign of depression?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Manjunadh M

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At July 4, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am an 18-year-old girl and I have some common symptoms of depression. But my family does not think that I have depression. I go through moments of sadness and sometimes anger. I have had headaches that doctors could not figure out. I want to find out if I have depression.

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Manjunadh M


Welcome to icliniq and thank you for choosing us as your provider for medical care.

I understand your concern. Depression as a disorder requires persistent symptoms at least for a couple of weeks where nothing can make the patient improve his or her mood. Transient feelings of sadness and anger can happen to anyone and may not qualify for a depressive disorder. Depression usually is very evident to family members because it entirely changes the way of interaction and interests. Having said all this, depression is poorly understood and may not have the usual features always. If you are experiencing these symptoms very frequently and the severity is increasing, it is better to consult a local psychiatrist. Also, there are self-reporting scales which can be applied to see if you satisfy the diagnosis.

I hope this has helped you.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Manjunadh M
Dr. Manjunadh M


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy