Q. For depression, would it be sorted out if I go for counseling?

Dr. Aditya Gupta
Published on May 03, 2017

I recently had a session with one of the doctors in this forum. She helped me in getting into focus and gave me ideas on overcoming my problems. But, I seem to be lost and blank lately. Nothing seems interesting and everything happening around me seems suspicious. I see myself emotionally broke most of the time. Not able to find a safe place. I am feeling insecure and homeless. I am getting frustration, anger and restlessness. I would like to know what is happening to me.

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

• From what you have described, you could be suffering from depression. Depression of such intensity requires medication and cure is possible in such cases.
  • Breath relaxation exercises or meditation is also helpful, but not a substitute for medications.

1. Thyroid profile.
2. Zung's self-rating depression scale.

MDD (major depressive disorder).

For further doubts consult a psychiatrist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thanks for diagnosing. I believe these have a start due to relationship problems. I have had issues with rejection since childhood. Being on the innocent side, I was fooled in an unexpected way. This has led me to a series of explosions inside. My position now has become chaotic with a lot of whimsical thoughts. A complete state of anger has popped up. Would it be sorted if I have a counseling session?

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

• In my opinion, medications are necessary at this stage. Psychotherapy also helps, but best result will come with a combination of both medications and psychotherapy.
  • Medications will help with the current symptoms while psychotherapy will help you learn how to cope better and thus help to prevent relapse.
  • Commonly people are afraid that they will become dependent on medicines or that medicines will harm them, which is more myth than reality.
  • You can plan a session with a psychotherapist either on this platform or offline. Surely, it will be helpful along with medication. Thus, consultation with a psychiatrist is necessary for you.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not mentioned the severity of your depression. If you have the first episode of depression. and you were stable on medication for more than six months then you can try to stop the medication. But if you have again depression then you need to take medication. Y...  Read Full