Q. How to cope with post-holiday depression?

I am a 20 year old female. I live in really good standards. But, I have been suffering from apathy and depression for four years and took five different medications namely Salipax, Cipralex, Cymbalta, Zoloft and now Prozac, which seems to be working. The first time I experienced depression four years ago was when I traveled and had a really amazing time and cried a lot when it was time to go back home. I really cried like never before for two days before our traveling time and I slept and woke up with depression.

I do not know why I was so terrified of going back home, I really do not. All I knew is that I wanted this amazing feeling to last. It was a religious place where I experienced peace. Now, I am out of town for the fifth time after that trip but, this one is different. I had this feeling again. I started crying really bad and want these moments to last and not go back home. How do I deal with it this time? I want my trip to give me energy for what is coming. I do not want it to happen again. Please tell me how to deal with these thoughts and feelings.

#

I can understand your concern.

• You developed what is known as a post-holiday depression or blues. To some extent, a worsening of mood is seen in a lot of individuals after a good holiday or after a good experience. In most individuals, this improves with time on its own, and no treatment is needed. But, if the depressive symptoms get prolonged, then this might complicate into depression.
  • If you are not able to function properly after holidays or even with the thoughts of the end of holidays, that is due to the depressive disorder. The crying spells you are having are part of depression only. You are on Prozac (Fluoxetine) and this drug will help to improve the depressive symptoms and will keep the symptoms under control.
  • For better functioning, once you once you get back home try to keep yourself busy. Here are some ideas:
  1. Focus on your work or studies from day-one of reaching home.
  2. Spend your spare time in exercise, preferably a walk or meditation. This will help build the confidence and you will feel better.
  3. Listening to music is a good idea.
  4. You can write about your holiday experiences in a dairy, and this will help distract you constructively.
  5. Focus on your next holiday and reward yourself after working efficiently when you are at home.

I hope this helps you. Thanks and take care.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|