Q. I am stressed and demotivated. Can I continue taking Fluoxetine?

I am 34 years old and single. I am seeing a clinical psychologist once in two months whom I was previously visiting. She told me she always prefers face-to-face sessions. She was not happy when I mentioned that I have discontinued the medication, Fludac 40 mg, as advised by one of the doctors I had visited. She said that I was not strong still and should take a doctor's opinion on the medication as my exams are nearing and I have not really started any preparation. So, the stress level is high. But, she has encouraged me and counseled me to clear at least two papers this time. To me, clearing two papers in itself is a Herculean task. She says the mood swings and the depression will start again if I discontinue the medication now. I am feeling stressed, tired and demotivated though I want to study in peace without any disturbances, and this is not at all happening. I do not like the routine when I start my day. My mother is not around as she is at my sister's place. My other sister who lives next door does not even drop in to see what is going on. So, it is just me and my 75-year-old father at home. He goes to work during the day. It is depressing to be around him. Please advice.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• I can understand your problem. Based upon the information you have mentioned, it appears that you have some sort of a mood disorder, most likely a depressive disorder.
  • Anhedonia, lack of interest, sadness, stress, lack of motivation, mood swings, etc. are symptoms of depression. Right now, you are not seeing your clinical psychologist regularly. So, if these symptoms are persisting then the drugs should be started again.
  • If in the past, Fluoxetine resulted in improvement then the first choice of medicine now should be Fluoxetine only. So, please talk with your doctor and ask for restarting the drugs and you will be alright.
  • I suggest you start Fluoxetine at 20 mg after breakfast and increase the dose by 20 mg in the morning after one week and then after two weeks, increase this to 60 mg. This should help you. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent. If there is no improvement seen then other medicines can be started.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|