Q. Can Fluoxetine cause disturbed sleep?

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 17, 2019

I am very sad, and I am surrounded by negative thoughts and anxiety. I have taken Fluoxetine (Fludac 20) for 6 weeks. Now I am fine, but I wake up early in the morning around 3.30 AM. Hence having disturbed sleep in the morning. My doctor changed medicine to Flunil 40. I think this dose is not required. Kindly advice me to avoid sexual side effects from this medicine. Thank you.

#

Fluoxetine is known to cause significant insomnia in many patients as it is an activating drug. Being an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) Fluoxetine causes sexual dysfunction.

Both these side effects can be treated by taking tablet Trazodone (brand name Trazaril) 25 mg at night time. It antagonizes the side effects of Fluoxetine. After two weeks, if needed, the dose can be increased to 50 mg.

Fluoxetine induced sexual dysfunction or insomnia.

SSRI induced sexual dysfunction.

Tablet Trazodone 25 mg at night time.

Thank u doctor,

My question is, do I require Fluoxetine 40 mg? Or is 20 mg fine? Kindly suggest. Thank you.

#

You have not mentioned, for what condition you are taking Fluoxetine, and how are the symptoms currently.

If your problems are sleep disturbance and sexual dysfunction, then you can continue with Fluoxetine 20 mg. However, if you still have some symptoms of the previous disorder for which you were taking Fluoxetine (depression, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), etc.,) and they are there even after taking 20 mg, then you might need 40 mg. In both cases, I would advise you to take Trazodone along with Fluoxetine.

|