Q. Kindly prescribe medicine that will help me get over my depressing thoughts.

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 27, 2021

I have a crush on a girl for two years now. I proposed to her, and she rejected me. I was depressed back then, and for that, I also took tablet Qutan 50. I felt better just for a while, but I could handle it. It got worse during this lockdown, and I am not on any medications now. Her thoughts are haunting me. I just cannot get over her. I tried contacting her after one year, expecting that she would talk, but she did not reply. I am very depressed now, and it is affecting me very badly. I am not able to sleep too.

Can you prescribe any medicine that will help me? I want to forget her completely. Please prescribe medicine that is cheap and easily available.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for this query.

I understand your current situation. I can imagine very well that how much stress you are going through. You have been prescribed earlier antipsychotic medication. Instead of it, it will be better if you are prescribed an antidepressant-like Sertraline 50 mg. It will help you in early recovery. For that, I would suggest you to visit a local psychiatrist as soon as possible. I would also suggest you some talk therapy like cognitive behavior therapy. Do not worry. These things are temporary and will get cured in a couple of months. You can also change your routine. Do exercises. Do meditation. Distract yourself by reading positive books and doing some hobby works.

If you want me to write a prescription, please tell me few more things like

How about your sleep?

Has your appetite changed?

Do you have any drug allergies?

In the past, have you taken Sertraline?

Any other physical and medical conditions?

Do you hear voices when no one is around?

Do you have any negative thoughts like self-harm or suicidal ideation?

I hope my answer helped you.

I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks for the reply.

I am having problems sleeping. I was prescribed Zolfresh for that, but after my job, I stopped using it as I felt better without medicines. I have not been prescribed the medicine which you have mentioned. But I was prescribed Amitriptyline though it suppressed my libido, and I was experiencing erectile dysfunction. Thankfully I do not have it now. I was prescribed it because I have had problems related to my stomach. I was diagnosed with rectal prolapse and constipation, for that it was operated on two years before.

I also feel like committing suicide a lot of times due to this stress.

I was also prescribed 'Nexito 10', but I did not find it helpful.

Please prescribe me such medicine which will not suppress my libido or give any such type of side effects.

#

Thanks for sharing this information with me. You should take Sertraline tablet 50 mg, half a tablet for a week, then increase it up to 50 mg. It rarely causes sexual side effects. However, there is some risk with all the antidepressants.

|