Q. Post fibroids operation there is gradual deterioration in health. What to do?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Jan 16, 2018

My mother is facing a psychological problem. She had a fibroids operation seven years back. Before the operation, she was very active but after this, her health has gradually deteriorated. At present, she cannot recognize anyone, she shouts by seeing everything, she has an involuntary passing of urine and cannot eat on her own. We have also consulted a neurologist, but they said there is no problem. We cannot take her out. Please suggest us what to do.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Her symptoms could be related to depression, but I would first recommend performing a brain CT scan to exclude a brain tumor or hydrocephalus which can mimic this clinical situation. I would also recommend checking your thyroid hormone levels and vitamin B12 and vitamin E plasma levels to investigate for a possible deficiency.

If all these test results are normal, the next step would be consulting with a psychiatrist. In such a case an antidepressant may be needed. Hope you will find this answer helpful.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Why am I experiencing memory loss after a head injury?

Query: Hello doctor, Over a year and a half ago, I had a head injury which I did not think was too major back then but it has caused many problems for me over the period of time and it is only getting worse. I have been experiencing a major amount of memory loss such as not remembering what we are learnin...  Read Full »

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article