Q. How can I treat allergic reaction to Doxycycline?

Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar

I had an allergic reaction to Doxycycline and broke out with hives and skin rashes. What can I do to clear it up?

#

The presented photograph is not hives (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is chronic dermatitis. It has nothing to do with Doxycycline. You need a medium potency Corticosteroid cream like Betamethasone valerate 1 % twice daily for two weeks with an anti-allergic tablet like Loratidine 10 mg once daily for 10 days. Hives are different. They appear reddish and appear and disappear. In that case, you need same anti-allergic tablet mentioned above plus Calamine lotion. If it is severe, you need to see a GP. It requires injectable medications.

|