Q. What is causing swollen and painful gums after wisdom tooth extraction?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir
Published on Feb 05, 2019

I am a 19-year-old female. I had my wisdom teeth taken out about four days ago, and now the gum behind where the wisdom tooth used to be is very swollen and causing pain.

#

I have been through your query and I can understand your concern.

Pain after the extraction is normal and that too for the wisdom tooth which often requires surgical intervention. However, if the pain is still present after four days (provided the extraction did not require any major surgery), it might be due to the infection of the extraction site which is often called as dry socket. Dry socket is associated with the severe pain in the extraction site and also a fetid odor of the mouth. It is also characterised by the inability to wide open the mouth properly.

If you have these symptoms, then it is the case of dry socket. In that case, I would suggest you to have a visit to your dentist who extracted your wisdom tooth and get the wound cleaned up properly along with the medications. Meanwhile continue the post-extraction instructions that your dentist must have given to you like do not suck on the liquids or using a pipe to drink liquid or beverages, slight talking, etc. In case of the pain (if you have severe pain) I would advise you to disperse two tablets of Ketorol DT in the glass of water and then drink it (after visiting your drug history and only if you do not have any drug allergy). Just take Ketorol DT only once as they are very potent and repeated use of them might cause some side effects.

However, if you have bearable pain and not the above symptoms then it is the case of regular post extraction pain and swelling. You continue the medication that your dentist has given to you for three more days. For swelling, you can use normal saline mouth rinses but rinse the mouth very gently as rigorous swish might dislocate the clot over the wound and may cause pain. Also, avoid touching the surface with your finger and tongue. Maintain good oral hygiene, brush twice daily and floss regularly with regular mouth rinses.

Had an extraction and bone graft was placed over it. Is there any chance for dry socket?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom toot...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, remove your fear present in your mind. A bone graft present with membrane prevents dry socket formation, and it makes a better environment to have socket healing. Bone graft is not fully utilized in the socket, as it a foreign material. Some amount of graft is re...  Read Full

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the tongue feels numb even after a day, then you may have a condition called paresthesia. It occurs when the injection injures the nerves. and such numbness can remain for a week or two, sometimes even for a month. But it will go away as the nerves heal slowly. Ta...  Read Full

I got my dry sockets packed twice already, then why is the pain not going down?

Query: Hi doctor, I had four teeth extracted a week ago, two on top and two on the bottom. I did not get numb at all, so I felt it all. I was diagnosed with a dry socket on the bottom. The dentist that I went to packed it twice now, after 4 to 5 days. As the extracted teeth were adjacent teeth, so when ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your query.Dry socket after extraction is caused due to the blood clot getting dislodged from the extraction socket. So ideally, the dry socket should be curetted, which means it should be cleaned and irrigated with medicine, and obtundent dressing m...  Read Full