Q. Is it necessary to get allergy testing done for perioral dermatitis?

Dr. Rabia
Published on Feb 18, 2019

I have personal dermatitis. I was prescribed 12 weeks of 100 mg Doxycycline. However, I am skeptical about taking antibiotics as I have read that with a lot of people the rash returns upon finishing treatment. Also, it can mess up your gut which is apparently linked to perioral dermatitis. I have gone gluten, dairy and sugar free, started Probiotics, Zinc and Omega 3 supplements and the rash still persists. I also use Metro gel and also it helps my rash is still there. It is mild but is very annoying and sore. If I take antibiotics will it make things worse? Or should I go get allergy testing? I have also cut out flouride toothpaste and eliminated SLS.

Dr. Rabia

Dermatology
#

You can skip Doxycycline, if you have gut problems and you cannot tolerate it. If you are suspecting that your perioral dermatitis is due to contact of any allergic material, then go for allergy testing. Otherwise it will not benefit you. I would like to know your work. Any allergy to known material and picture of your leison? You can use mild steroid preparation over it for relief.

Perioral dermatitis

Apply hydrocortisone 1% ointment over leisons bd for 2 weeks
Take antihistamine if you have itching
Rest continue with your measures

Maintain hygiene of the area
Wash with soap and water
Avoid using dettol and other irritants

Follow at 2 weeks with pics plz

Airborne Contact Dermatitis (ABCD) Due to Congress Grass

Article Overview: Airborne contact dermatitis is a type of contact dermatitis, which is mainly caused by an allergic response to the plant Congress Grass. Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

The causative plant for airborne contact dermatitis is Parthenium hysterophorus (Congress Grass). This plant was accidentally introduced all over the world through contaminated wheat shipments and now it has spread to the nook and corner of the world. Thus, the cases of Parthenium dermatitis have be...  Read Article

Seborrheic Dermatitis - the Most Common Scalp Condition

Article Overview: This article discusses the clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of seborrheic dermatitis in both infants and adults. Read Article

Seborrheic dermatitis is a papulosquamous disorder with an inflammatory component. It is characterized by well-defined erythema and accompanied by overlying greasy scales. Seborrheic dermatitis will be seen over areas rich in sebum namely scalp, eyebrows, center of the face, eyelids, around and in t...  Read Article

Autoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis (APD)

Article Overview: This article deals with the treatment of autoimmune progesterone dermatitis (APD) through homeopathy. Read Article

Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis (APD) is characterized by skin rashes whose severity is directly dependant on the phase of the menstrual cycle. It appears at the second half of the menstrual cycle during which the progesterone begins to rise. The rashes subside immediately after menstruation ends...  Read Article