Q. What is the most effective procedure to remove DPN from my face?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2021

I am planning to remove the DPN present on my face. What is the most effective procedure? I heard that electrocautery and carbondioxide laser helps to manage it. Which of these two procedures has the best outcome? Is there a better procedure other than these two?

#

DPN (dermatosis papulosis nigra) is often removed effectively using electric cauterization as it requires less number of sittings and it is cost-effective. DPN removal using cauterization takes around two sittings as they take only one side of the face at a time or only one sitting can be preferred according to the pain tolerance. It is done under local anesthesia. On post-procedure, you will be asked to apply topical antibiotics or a short course of oral antibiotics can be taken. Laser therapy for DPN is comparable but there is a development of some side effects such as hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, rashes, burns and it requires more sessions.

|