Q. Is there a way to prevent little moles from coming all over my body?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2022

I am an 18 year old girl and I am starting to notice little moles all over my body. Nothing unusual or worrisome. My mother and grandmother are also covered in moles so I guess I should have expected it. My question is, is there a way that I can prevent them from coming in or at least slow down the process? I am most concerned about the ones on my face. I have a number of them under and around both of my eyes. They are still in the "beginning stages" I guess. They have not risen and you can only tell if you get close to me. But I am afraid that over time they will grow in and be harder to look over.

#

I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

These are not moles. These are called dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN). It a genetic condition, runs in families. These have to be removed individually. Options are:

• Radiofrequency cautery.
  • Co2 laser.
  • Chemical peel.

Schedule an appointment with a dermatologist for this procedure. I am very sorry there is no measure to prevent it from recovering since it is a genetic condition. However, gentle facial scrubs may help some individuals.

Take care.

|