Q. I have weird line shaped rashes when I scratch. What is causing this?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Since last week, I have been feeling itchiness around my body, especially arms, feet, abdomen, and back. At first, it started every night, but it starts to feel itchy in the afternoon too. Now, the itch kind of calmed down, but every time I scratched, my skin tends to form weird raised lines which look like rash bumps, but in a weird line shape which is not really caused by how I scratched it. Just like the pictures below, the rash can either look like weird shapes or like red scars which form in order for some reason. Also, the rash does not go away after a while, sometimes it just stays there. Now it mostly forms around my back, breast, legs and arms. Is there any cause of this? Please advice.

#

I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is called dermographism. Usually, it is seen in 4 to 5 % of the normal population. Dermographism is a form of physical urticaria. Scratching, rubbing, or any kind of physical pressure can cause this type of rash.

We don't treat this condition unless it is symptomatic like irresistible itching and causing distress for the patient.

I suggest:

1. Topical Calamine lotion - apply three times a day. It calms the skin.
  2. Tablet Levosiz M (combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast). Anti-allergy medication to keep these rashes under control. Take one tablet at night after dinner for two weeks.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|