Q. Why do I have to constrict my muscles to urinate?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
Published on Apr 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I am 53 years old with type 2 insulin dependent diabetes. For the past five years, my urine stream has become slow. As the stream is slow, I cannot stand and urinate. But, I feel that the bladder is empty after urination. In all scans the prostate is normal including the latest one. It is embarrassing many times; I may not find a western seat. What do you suggest? And what is your opinion about the same. I have to constrict the muscles several times for the urine to come out till the bladder is empty. I am just taking Insulin for diabetes. I am attaching my scan reports for your reference. Please help.

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I would like to know few more details to help you in a better way.

1. Do you have any stress incontinence? Is there involuntary dribbling of urine when coughing?
  2. Do you have any urgency that is unable to control passing urine once you got the thought of passing urine?
  3. Do you have any hesitancy and incomplete bladder emptying?
  4. What is the post-void residual urine volume in the abdomen ultrasound report?
  • Do not worry; your problem is not with prostate as scan is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If possible please send other reports.
  • Most likely the problem is with bladder musculature (detrusor weakness) or may be within the bladder (any diverticulum).
  • You need to undergo some tests like uroflowmetry or micturating cystourethrogram (MCUG).

Revert back with the answers to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

My urethral opening is red and lumpy. Is it herpes or warts?

Query: Hi doctor, From the last three months, my urethral opening is a little swollen. The inside of the opening seems to be red and lumpy. I seem to be leaking a lot of urine after urinating. My urine also has some kind of clear floating object on top. I am scared if this is herpes or warts or HPV. My fo...  Read Full »

Drinking lots of water but not urinating. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I drank a good amount of water (five to six bottles), but I only peed like 6 or 7 times. Three of those times barely, almost none, came out. I woke up this morning having the urge to pee, and when I did it, I still feel like I could have peed a lot more. I went out this morning and came ho...  Read Full »