Q. Kindly prescribe medicines to control diabetes and gain weight.

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Published on Jan 04, 2019

My husband aged 51, is clinically diagnosed to be diabetic. His HbA1c remained at 6.5 during the last two checkups. The last checkup was done three months back. His blood sugar after the food was 178 two weeks ago. He has lost weight by 10 kg in six months. He has become weak both physically and in appearance. His BP is 90 to 130 and has been taking the tablet Telmisartan 40 for two years. Also, he is having severe pain on elbow which is diagnosed to be tennis elbow and the tablet Bounty is prescribed and has been taking this for last seven days. Kindly prescribe the medicine for diabetic and gain weight.

#

I can understand your concern. I would like to know what medicines is he on for diabetes. Follow up would be free, so please answer my questions as it will allow me to help you better. Regarding his blood pressure, 130/90 is good. So, continue the medicine. 6 to 6.5 is a very good HbA1c score to maintain. But, some diabetic medicines lead to weight loss (which is mostly required). So, please mention the medicine names and how many times does he take them. Also, mentioning some general guidelines which he can follow for better control.

Regular meal times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Avoid fried and junk food. You can include the following food in your diet like fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, peas, low-fat dairy products, fish, nuts like almonds and walnut. You must avoid bakery products, sweets, organ meats, egg yolk, white bread, and white rice, potatoes, red pumpkin, pineapple, sapodilla, mangoes, custard apples, and grapes. Try and exercise (even brisk walking will do) for atleast 30 minutes for five days in a week. Eliminate sugar and sugar products from the diet. No sugar-free or jaggery as well. Remember, moderation is the answer. There is no harm in indulging in something you like, once in a while, in a small amount.

| 

So far he is not taking any medicine for diabetics. Please advise.

#

Kindly follow the guidelines I have mentioned above. Along with that start tablet Amaryl 1 mg, 1-0-1, to be taken immediately after meals. In case he feels dizzy or sweaty, let him have a pinch of sugar immediately. After a week, follow up with me, with his blood sugar levels in fasting and PP (two hours later sample). In case of any discomfort (hypoglycemia that is low blood sugar), immediately meet your local physician.

| 

Related Video

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

How to gain weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very thin. I want to gain more mass and weight. For that I am consuming multivitamin tablets and protein powder, but no use. I have a doubt that whatever I am taking is not 100% digesting to supply that energy to my body? What do I do?  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now