Q. Is it safe to use honey on a diabetic foot ulcer?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Nov 30, 2017

I have a diabetic foot ulcer that is taking forever to heal. Yes, I am seeing a podiatrist and following my foot care to his instructions. My question is;Is using 'honey' on the ulcer alright to use and will it work? I did a lot of research and all of them report a quicker healing. Respectfully wait for your professional thoughts on this.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have a diabetic foot.

• Yes, there are honey dressing materials available in hospitals for quicker healing of DM foot. The antibacterial properties of honey it seems are beneficial.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Preventive Foot Care in Diabetes

Article Overview: Did you know that that 15 % of all diabetic patients get foot ulcers? Among them, 1 % require a higher-level amputation. Learn how to take care of your feet and prevent diabetic ulcers from forming. Read Article

Dr. Ajit Kumar Varma
Diabetologist

A majority of the diabetic patients admitted to various hospitals come for the management of lower limb and foot infections as well as gangrene. Most of these happen due to a poor management of the problem and also due to a general lack of awareness among the public about the repercussions of these ...  Read Article

What complications can occur if I continued to have high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am male, 73 years old, height 179 cm, and weight 120 kg. Has diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, gout, slight renal failure, had a heart attack almost 10 years ago and underwent a procedure of having two stents in his heart. Cholesterol. Takes medication for his illnesses. His blood ...  Read Full »

I have a small bump under the shaft of penis. Is that genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. My height is 6'1" and weight 163 lbs. I have a small bump under the shaft of my penis. It looks like that it could be from masturbation, but I am not sure. There is no itching or burning. It is not an open sore either. I recently had protected oral sex with a sex worker...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now